Cloudy beer, help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

link64

Reaction score
Hello!

I've had a brew in the PB for about a week and a half now, today I thought I'd take a look at it, see how it's going and unfortunately it's still REALLY cloudy... it's been sitting in a cool room almost since it was put in the PB (part a few days to allow it to carb) how can I get it to clear? I have finings but I', guessing it's too late to add them now?

Part all this it tastes and smells great :D

Hello!

I've had a brew in the PB for about a week and a half now, today I thought I'd take a look at it, see how it's going and unfortunately it's still REALLY cloudy... it's been sitting in a cool room almost since it was put in the PB (part a few days to allow it to carb) how can I get it to clear? I have finings but I', guessing it's too late to add them now?

Part all this it tastes and smells great :D
2+2+2 the golden rule,2 weeks fermenting,2 weeks packaged and put somewhere WARM to carbonate and 2 weeks somewhere cooler

The best way to get it to clear is before you rack it into the PB using either finings or time, using finings now after it has been primed will result in it being very slow to clear, is also the chance that there is so much sediment inside the PB that it is being pushed out every time you draw a pint of.

patience is the hardest brewing 'skill' to acquire.. gravity will pull all the sediment out of suspension eventually, take the opportunity o get some bottles and another brew on the go in the meanwhile.

The best way to get it to clear is before you rack it into the PB using either finings or time, using finings now after it has been primed will result in it being very slow to clear, is also the chance that there is so much sediment inside the PB that it is being pushed out every time you draw a pint of.

I'll give it a few weeks to stand first, theres no rush to drink it yet! If that fails I'll try opening it, adding finings then discharging a CO2 bulb into it... I'd just have to be really careful doing that.

There shouldnt be too much sediment as when I racked it off I pulled it though a sterlilsed filter I got from Harris.

patience is the hardest brewing 'skill' to acquire.. gravity will pull all the sediment out of suspension eventually, take the opportunity o get some bottles and another brew on the go in the meanwhile.

Totally agree, patience is something I need to learn to have more of! Though I think the 2+2+2 rule mentioned above sounds like a good idea so I'll try to stick to that in future :)

Are the Wilko one tin kits any good? I keep thinking about doing one but for £12 I cant imagine they're much good?

Back