Wherry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breameister

Reaction score
I have just found an old wherry kit. Expiry end 2014. What can I do with it. I assume the cans are ok but not the yeast. Could I incorporate into another recipie or just brew as is with new yeast.
Any ideas would be welcome.

When you say another recipe do you mean a partial mash? If so I don't see why not

I'd prob just do the kit as it is but maybe add some specialty grains. I added some amber and crystal with a smidge of dry roasted.
Came out an amazing pint, made the original look pretty lame. But if you can give it a nice prolonged conditiong time that will be a bonus.

If it's only kits ur doing, adding cold steeped specialty grains gives u an insight into AG.

Kits at the mo. Just prepping man cave to start ag brewing. So may wait until I have this in place. Have 80 pints ready or ready to put into a corny next week. So no rush. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wherry is a two can kit and I think there's enough malt in there to do without a grain boost unlike a one can kit.
So apart from a definite change of yeast, I would only consider a dry hop or a tea for a Wherry kit. EKG or a suitable aroma or flavour hop would be fine or try something from this old thread.
Suitable hops for English and American ales - The HomeBrew Forum

Personally, because Woodfordes Wherry is my number one "go to kit" I wouldn't mess around with it.

For me, all I would do is buy a packet of Wilco Beer Yeast and then follow the recipe using the Wilco Yeast instead of the original packet.

I firmly believe in the old adage "If it ain't broke why fix it?" ... :thumb: :thumb:

... and the truth is that if the extract side of the kit is knackered then it shouldn't be used for anything else anyway! :doh: :doh:

Do you think 3 years out of date will be a problem?

Not for the malt-extract if its been kept somewhere nice and cool ... :thumb:

... and if it is then it will only cost you a couple of hours effort and a Wilco yeast to find out. :thumb: :thumb:

On the other hand, using it in another brew and discovering that it's "off" is what nightmares are all about! :nono: :nono:

Been hidden away in the garage. So I think it will be fine. Might do a half brew and see.

Just a thought!

Why a "half brew"?

If the extract is okay, then by the time you find out the other tin will be another six weeks older and you will have the same amount of work again. :thumb:

If the extract is over the hill, you will know within a couple of weeks and can get on with another brew. :thumb:

But then again, I've never bothered with half-brews. :whistle:

Back