Plum wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigeck

Tight Ass Jock
Reaction score
Right, having a go at this. A kind local gent with a plum tree advertised these on Freecycle so couldn't resist. A couple of kilos of over ripened / rotting fruit discarded but ended up with 9.7kg of usable fruit after stoning. Well chuffed.

9.7kg plums
5kg sugar
9ltr water
5 crushed campdens

Leaving this overnight to kill off anything lurking within then will add the pecto tomorrow.

I will add more water once the fruit comes out and am hoping to end up with 20ltr of wine.

Recipies for plum differ and I have seen a couple where banana is added to give a bit of body. I could also add a bit of RGJ but am a wee bit reluctant. If anyone has any experience of plum please wade in with suggestions.

Incidentally, when picking up the plums said gent was telling me he has a gallon of marrow wine on as an experiment!!!

I've got damson wine on the go and was happy with adding 500g chopped raisins.

I left it in the fermenter for 10 days when I went on holiday and now it's in a DJ it has the greatest deep red I've seen yet in a country wine (the colour of raspberries).

My recipe came from the 'Booze for Free' book.

I have done a plum wine too Bigeck but I followed CJJ Berry's recipe (except with less sugar). His method uses boiling water rather than cold and so does not need the campden tablets. I started it on Aug 15th and put in DJ on 17th. It went like billyo for five days and will be racked off tomorrow. I will be interested to how yours turns out.

I've added another 1 ltr of water and the must is sitting at 23ltr at them moment. It tastes rather nice but we will have to wait till fermentation is finished. I am not adding anything to the must for this batch to see how it turns out taste wise.

Sg is 1.080 so looking like 11%. That looks okay.

Peregrinus - I think your damson sounds great, where did you get them?

I took an allotment last year which came with a mature plum tree (or gage, can't work out exactly). This produces a yellow fruit which is not that juicy but very tasty. I have racked it now so I have a gallon of 12.1% wine. I will leave it a few months then try and work out what to do with it.

IMAG0220.jpg

Latest posts

Back