Mike's Messy Mangos (Hooch)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miker

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I acquired a demijohn and I ordered two airlocks from a local supermarket (2 for �£1.97 or something) and set about "testing" the equipment.

I read about some quick brews using fruit juice and yeast to make a hooch/cheap wine. After sterilising all the equipment i decided to make a mango hooch.

I've used 4 litres of Solevita mango juice as this one had no preservatives, 500g of regular sugar and bread yeast. About the yeast... I thought each sachet was a single gram, oh boy was I wrong. Each sachet is 7 grams, and I used four of them!

Fast forward two weeks and roughly 28 grams of yeast later. This thing had been bubbling away like a mad man up until yesterday. The mango pulp and yeast has all settled to the bottom and the air lock has gone quiet.

I decided to take a sample as I've got no way of decanting the liquid without getting all the residue. It tastes like mango with a hint of nail polish and it smells like it could strip paint!

I wasn't expecting much from this experiment but I've read that ageing it can help remove the acetone taste?

I also heard that using bread yeast will leave an eggy smell or leave the whole lot tasting like mouldy bread. Luckily I've got none of that however the acetone may be masking any foul smells or it's not been going long enough.

Also, is it possible to simulate an original gravity reading? Say for example I get one carton of the same juice, add a quarter of the total sugar and use some funky maths?

Thanks for reading and apologies if this is in the wrong section or a tad waffley. Perhaps the mango paint thinner has gone to my head!

haha. get some wine yeast m8.. as cheap as bread yeast and more suitable. you need to get a siphon or any bit of tubing provided it's sterile.. that way you can get the product out of the vessel without disturbing the nasties at the bottom.

it's the acetone that has me worried, that's not going anywhere and will either make you blind or give you a banging headache.

my advice - ditch the lot and look at the WOW thread for some tried and tested recipes.

Back