Cherry stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klemay83

Reaction score
So the mother in laws wedding is due next April and I'm making a couple of brews for it. One is a cherry stout. I'm using a St Peters cream stout kit for it and adding cherries. I was told that sour cherries are best to use , but I can only seem to find dried ones in supermarkets or online. Any recommendations what to use as an alternative? Also I'm going to add a pectin enzyme during primary to help extract more flavour from the cherries in secondary. Can I just use a regulare wine pectolase?

So the mother in laws wedding is due next April and I'm making a couple of brews for it. One is a cherry stout. I'm using a St Peters cream stout kit for it and adding cherries. I was told that sour cherries are best to use , but I can only seem to find dried ones in supermarkets or online. Any recommendations what to use as an alternative? Also I'm going to add a pectin enzyme during primary to help extract more flavour from the cherries in secondary. Can I just use a regulare wine pectolase?
My only comment is change the yeast if your Muntons St Peters kit comes with a 6g packet of yeast.

Klemay -how about Montmorency juice concentrate - Holland and Barrett@�£6.99 for 473ml and get a second for 1p offer. It pops up in some American sour/cherry beers. Hope this helps. Raymondo

I'd be really interesting in the recipe or how you did it and how it turned out if you don't mind letting us know. Especially with the fresh cherries. Thanks

I think I whack it on a load of frozen cherries for a few weeks after its primary and see what happens. I tried adding cherry concentrate to a stout once before bottling and the flavour didn't come through at all in most of the bottles. The wedding is going to be mostly bikers anyway...so no matter what it tastes like it's going to get drunk 😆

Any reason why it has to be a stout?

I did this brew earlier on in the year:

WILCO PILSNER WITH LOWICZ CHERRY SYRUP
Started 29th August 2017
Adjunct of 1,200ml of Lowicz Cherry Syrup instead of sugar.
Yeast pitched at 24 degrees.
Fermented on worktop at ambient.
Transferred to King Keg 8th September 2017
OG 1.048
FG 1.010
ABV 4.99%

Tested 11th November and VERY nice. Slight “bitter” taste but still has Cherry Flavour to it.

Had another litre last night. The taste is improving and it's good enough to save for friends visiting over Christmas and New Year.

The Lowicz Cherry Syrup gives a great taste and at the moment I thing Lidl and Aldi are both selling it.

Enjoy. :thumb:

Note:

It seems that the Cherry Syrup needs a long time to ferment.

We sailed for France on the 10th September so I transferred it to the keg much too soon.

I was conscious of this and only added 50g of priming sugar for the 23 litres but the product is still very frothy. The next time I brew it I will wait for at least three weeks before transfer.

Any reason why it has to be a stout?

I did this brew earlier on in the year:

WILCO PILSNER WITH LOWICZ CHERRY SYRUP
Started 29th August 2017
Adjunct of 1,200ml of Lowicz Cherry Syrup instead of sugar.
Yeast pitched at 24 degrees.
Fermented on worktop at ambient.
Transferred to King Keg 8th September 2017
OG 1.048
FG 1.010
ABV 4.99%

Tested 11th November and VERY nice. Slight “bitter” taste but still has Cherry Flavour to it.

Had another litre last night. The taste is improving and it's good enough to save for friends visiting over Christmas and New Year.

The Lowicz Cherry Syrup gives a great taste and at the moment I thing Lidl and Aldi are both selling it.

Enjoy. :thumb:

Note:

It seems that the Cherry Syrup needs a long time to ferment.

We sailed for France on the 10th September so I transferred it to the keg much too soon.

I was conscious of this and only added 50g of priming sugar for the 23 litres but the product is still very frothy. The next time I brew it I will wait for at least three weeks before transfer.

Like the sound of this, but might try it with a wheat beer kit.

Just done a turbo cider with the strawberry syrup, also primed with 300ml of syrup.

What did you prime with?

I primed with 50g of ordinary brewing sugar ... :thumb:

... but I now wish I hadn't because it was obviously still slowly fermenting! :doh:

No matter how careful I am to pour it slowly I still get 90% froth; and that is after half emptying the keg!

Next time I will put it on well before I have to leave for France! :lol:

Back