What are you drinking tonight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not drinking my own beer, so not sure if I am committing a sin :-o. Sat in the pub , my Border Terrier sat on my lap, falling asleep, as I drink Guinness and write my Last Will and Testament, cheery eh lol..:lol::lol::lol:

Supping some strawberry wine and wondering why the world is going mad over a little snow thinking the world has ended. Why is this country so ****e at dealing with adverse weather !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a bottle of IPA from the Deeside brewery , not bad quite a traditional tasting sort of IPA. Second was a bottle of brewdog Elvis Juice. Never fails to disappoint.

Tried a bottle of citra made by Oakham for M&S. A very ordinary English IPA in a 500mm can.

M&S however do seem to have a quite good range of beers on a 4 for 3 deal. I got a Sierra Nevada Torpedo DIPA, Northern Brewer New world IPA, magic rock Inhaler and sierra Nevada nooner Pilsner for £6.60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mrs got me 2 from Ms for last night. The Amarillo single hop which wasn't bad at all and the Yorkshire gold ale which I enjoyed. Interestingly the Yorkshire gold ingredient label included maris otter and demerara sugar...

Had to try a Spiced Pumpkin Ale, even though it's only been out of the fridge to condition for five days!! :doh:

Way too early and the taste is very rough (much too heavy on the bitterness and the clove flavour is also a bit high) but it has started to clear okay; and I'm pretty sure that the taste will mellow and improve over time.

Roll on New Year! :thumb:

IMG_0535.jpg

Just popped into town as there was an ice carving thing plus some stalls at Wrexham museum. One of the stalls was a pop up bar from Wrexham lager ... I had to try one. Not bad at all!

My Beerwulf order came today. It’s a work night and I have stuff to do, but I’m going to have a Lindemans Kriek to unwind later.

Just had a bottle of my "Saison De Quirm", my first AG, an attempt at a sort of Electric India clone (I used pilsen malt rather than extra pale malt). My wife necked hers and wants more..... :doh:

Just cracked open my stone IPA clone. Conditioning for 2 weeks. First impressions are very good. Missed my numbers so instead of the 7% calculated, can out at 6.5. Clean taste with an early bitterness which turns to a fruity (not skilled enough to say which one like) lasting taste. Clearer than any I've done previously. Gonna get a can from asda tomorrow for side by side taste test .

Happy Thursday everyone.

Had one of my Xmas Barley wines started at 1.085 on 16 Feb tonight.

Had to pour it into a 2L jug as it was so fizzy (bottled @ 1.012).

Was it a nice, drinkable beer - yes albeit a bit strong

Was it worth the effort - hell NO - it was made by doing a parti-gyle (PG) in the GF so took semi-forever then was boiled down to 10L on the stove and I ended up with 12 bottles in the posh bottles that have gushed with everything, plus a few samplers.

On the plus side, the other brew from the PG was a very simple Cascade single hop beer into which t I chucked one of the last Coopers kits from Tesco's failed toe-dip into the HB market. That was really good, a fabulous advert for partial mash brewing.

I do feel that there is sort of "law of diminishing returns" with brewing strong beers. 5% to 6% is fairly easy to brew, 7% needs a fair bit of sugar and beyond that you are looking at extra malt extract, or at the extremes, loads of faffing around - re-iterated mashes, PG brewing and all that stuff.

Will I be brewing a Barley Wine again - yes, perhaps, but not before I have thought very carefully about why TF I bothered with one. It has been a complete **** ache all the way to breakfast time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back