Freezing yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all
I wanted to try saving some yeast I've used for a mead. I followed some instructions for mixing the yeast 50% glycerin, 25% yeast, 25% water (after washing it etc) and put it in the freezer yesterday.

It hasn't frozen. Has anyone else tried this? Is that right that it hasn't frozen?

:cheers:

Isn't the point of adding Glycerin to stop it freezing solid and splitting the cells open?

Tony said:
Hi all
I wanted to try saving some yeast I've used for a mead. I followed some instructions for mixing the yeast 50% glycerin, 25% yeast, 25% water (after washing it etc) and put it in the freezer yesterday.

It hasn't frozen. Has anyone else tried this? Is that right that it hasn't frozen?

:cheers:

Spot on. In that concentration, the freezing point will be (assuming that your 25% yeast is in fact nearly all water and not solid yeast) around -30C.

luckyeddie said:
Spot on. In that concentration, the freezing point will be (assuming that your 25% yeast is in fact nearly all water and not solid yeast) around -30C.

Ahh .. nice one, thanks LE - and yes, the yeast was thick slurry but mostly water as you say. Thank you!

Have you tried doing this?

Tony said:
luckyeddie said:

Ahh .. nice one, thanks LE - and yes, the yeast was thick slurry but mostly water as you say. Thank you!

Have you tried doing this?

No.

I bottle the slurry and keep at around 5C - I figure that if yeasts remain viable in Chimay bottles for 10 years or so, then a year is not going to be a problem - just a short nap for them. I have 2 fridges for brewing, and often tie up the cooker for hours with my candi sugars and syrups plus toasting various adjuncts - if I took over the freezer as well, I might end up sleeping in the garden.

luckyeddie said:
I might end up sleeping in the garden.
:rofl: you and me both. I've already been warned about the freezer. Rest of the kitchen isn't so much of a problem as I do all of the cooking :roll:

Back