Belgian wit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artiums_enteri

Regular.
Reaction score
Some of you guys expressed interest in my Belgian wit recipe which is similar to hogarden.

Batch size: 5 gallon
Brew type: all grain
Boil size: 6.5 gallons
Grain weight: 16.75 pounds
Efficiency: 75

Original gravity: 1.063
Final gravity: 1.016
ABV: 6.1%
IBU: 31
SRM: 61.2 L

Yeast: wyeast 3942 Belgian wit made into a 2 Ltr starter and left on a stir plate for 36 hours prior to pitching.

Mash: single infusion 60 min at 152* F. Mash out at 170* F for 15 min.

Sparge: fly sparge at 170* F pre boil gravity should be 1.050.

GRAINS:

Belgian 2 row at 7 pounds
Malted wheat at 4.5 pounds
Flaked wheat at 2.5 pounds
Torrified wheat at 2 pounds
Acid malt at .75 pounds

HOPS:

2 ounces Saaz at 60 min
1 ounce Saaz at 15 min

ADJUNCTS:

1 ounce coriander seeds boiled for 1 min

1 ounce bitter orange peel boiled for 1 min

1 ounce seeds of paradise boiled for 1 min

Chill to 70* F with wort chiller.

Ferment at 62* F for 3 weeks. No racking to secondary needed.

If bottle conditioning rack to bottling bucket and add 3/4 cup of priming sugar. Rack to bottles and keep at 65* F for three weeks

If kegging, rack to keg and put C02 to 3 volumes. Serve at 34* F.

Extract version:

5 pounds pale malt extract
5 pounds wheat malt extract

Thanks guys. Yeah the adjuncts are completely optional. I throw them in because judges look for those flavors and aromas. Honestly if the yeast performs properly it should create those flavors.

All set to be this today!!
My grains of paradise arrived yesterday - never heard of them before but like the aroma. Might try them in cooking too! (bet they are good crushed like black pepper prior to searing steak)

Couple of questions if you read this before I brew.

Are wheat flakes the same as you'd buy in the Heath food shop?
What's acid malt?
Is bitter orange peel just zest from a fresh orange??

Thanks so much!!

Flaked oats are pretty much oatmeal. If you are using oats from a health food shop you might want to do a protein rest at 50* C due to them being under modified. Acid malt is not a must, but it helps stabilize the mash PH without adjusting the water. If you can't find it don't worry, relax, have a home brew.

The seeds of paradise are really neat, and add a little zest to freshly caught catfish or blue gill. The bitter orange peel in not sure about. These have just always been available from local homebrew shops, but I'm guessing if you peel an orange, chop up the peel, and dry it out on a cookie sheet on a low heat in the oven you'll probably come up with something very similar. If that's too much trouble skip it entirely. The yeast should provide some of that character anyway.

Keep us posted on how it turns out. I like this recipe because it is designed to go from glass to kettle in 2 weeks. Aging this beer does no good; in fact it's best if drank young.

Brew strong brother!

Much appreciated!!!!!

I'll photograph the brew session
Looking forward to the aromas!

Do you crush the seeds or boil whole?

I've done both, but I had the best results just cracking them with a motor and pedestal or the end of a rolling pin. I also don't boil those things long at all. They go in at 1 min so basically flame out. They are kind of delicate ingredients, so you don't want that essence to evaporate in the steam. Other brewers find it works best to toss in the adjuncts after fermentation. Play around a bit and see what works for you.

muddydisco said:
Silly Question here, Never done wheats or alike. Do I still need copper finnings?
I asked the same question first time I did a hefe and I never received an answer so used half a protofloc for a 40 litre brew - I sort of presumed that this would sort out any big bits of **** and that the yeast would do the rest . I have done this in subsequent brews and all have been cloudy - could prob drop the copper finings all together but I was never sure!! Hope some one can correct or clarify this !! :geek:

Well artiums_enteri Hasn't been on today yet so there is still hope.
If I don't get an answer of the back of this I'll shout up in another section ;)

i have done lots of research on wheat as its mostly all i brew and no don't use irish moss so i presume copper finnings is also a no also pitch small and not large and you should do a protein rest at 44c and if force carb will be ready to drink after 1 week in conditioning,although best will be 4 weeks drink before 6 months and ferment at 18c for more clove while 22c for more banana :thumb:

Ok so no Irish moss or protofloc :thumb:
By pitching small How small? I have a single Vial of White labs I was going to use.
And how long a protein rest at 44c during the mash?
Was going to be fermenting in the 19-20c zone

Yeah shall be kegging some and bottling the rest. I brew 25 ltr and fill a corny the rest hits bottles

Cheers artiums_enteri :thumb:

id go for a 20 min protein rest then take it up to 66c like normal beers :thumb: and just pitch yeast no starter unless old etc

The witbier that I bottled eight days ago is superb already :drink: I use a good 3/4 teaspoon of sugar which is spot on ! Hefe brew soon as well :D

Latest posts

Back