saflager yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neddy

Reaction score
Ive got a woodfordes wherry and coopers mexican cerveza in fv at mo. I had a wilko cerveza/pilsner and geordie lager for christmas and i see some people use different yeast rather than kit one so will saflager yeast make much difference to these kits?

I was wondering about doing this too - how much lower would the temperature need to be as I don't have a spare fridge? Would 18° or so be OK if left for a bit longer than usual?

lager needs fermenting at 12 deg c then midway through the ferment be at 16 deg c then after 48 hours back to 12 again. Then lager in a secondary as close to 0 deg c as possible. But thats what we did with an all grain maybe different for a kit or not worth the hassle

Mark1964 said:
lager needs fermenting at 12 deg c then midway through the ferment be at 16 deg c then after 48 hours back to 12 again. Then lager in a secondary as close to 0 deg c as possible. But thats what we did with an all grain maybe different for a kit or not worth the hassle
Yes, I'd be doing all grain as well and since I'm not a lager drinker, it sounds like a lot of work. Thanks.

yeah sounds like alot of hassle. I remember someone saying ferment at 16c for 2-3 weeks but if i gotta mess about upping and lowering temp then ill stick with original yeast. Thanks for the info

I suppose it depends on the yeast, I used Saflager S23 which gets mixed reviews when used at lower temps (it claims to work at higher temps) and put it in a room with the heating turned off which gave a temp of 13-15.5°C for 18 days till the gravity was 1020 I then put it in a cupboard with a temp of 20°C for 4 days to bring it down to 1010.

Tasted OK when I kegged it but it has a light buttery taste but still has a lager profile, I'm hoping the lagering period will help clean this up but I can't tell you if it's worked because it only been sitting in my garage since 31/12/12 and I'm not going to try it till the end of Feb. The OG was 1056 so I will let it go longer if needed.

I have another lager style (3kg Vienna, 3kg Munich 250g carapils) in the same room which I have at 11-13.5°C by opening the window for a few hours during the day using Saflager W34-70, again I'm going to stash it in the garage for a few months.

The temp in my garage was a max of 10°C on the 1st Jan it's now sitting at a max of 5°C and a low of 3°C, as far as I know lagering will work to some extent in temps under 10°C but time will tell.

Back