Different malts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the complete angler

Reaction score
Hi

ive just had a sack full of 3kg bags of different malts delivered by my pal who works in the maltings, I was just wondering how best to incorporate them into some brew recipes, he delivered

premium english caramalt
crystal 150
imperial malt
amber malt
black malt
roasted barley
aromatic malt
wheat malt

anyone got any ideas or recipes that I could try

Mike

A really dark, caramelly, wheat beer? :grin:

That's a good variety of malts in that sack, but not that you'd use in the same brew!

Well for me it would be a base malt plus 1 or 2 of these even 3 , so what do you want is the question . What do these grains do , cara or crystal offers a bit of sweetness or a hint of caramel , amber gives a more maltier taste and a bit of colour , black well that darkens your beer a lot (so not much needed) and will give a strong flavour (again careful how much) , roasted well that gives you more colour and a hint of roasted flavour , aromatic malt gives you a malty aroma and taste and wheat malt is often used for head retention .
Most of the above you would only want around 100/300 g depending on what you want although maybe less with black .
You could brew many many types of brews with what you've got , so really you need to ask what recipes has folk got for a bitter or whatever .

Latest posts

Back