Is this common?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chojo

Reaction score
Hi guys, I finally got a brew to go fizzy in bottles after all the hassle I've had with flat beers I was very pleased with it. However last night I was having a few and opened two bottles only to find them flat again! The first 6 or so have been fine and fizzy so am I right in thinking I might just of not sealed them tight enough when I capped them? I'm hoping the rest will be ok, is it common to have the odd flat beer in an otherwise good batch?

chojo said:
Hi guys, I finally got a brew to go fizzy in bottles after all the hassle I've had with flat beers I was very pleased with it. However last night I was having a few and opened two bottles only to find them flat again! The first 6 or so have been fine and fizzy so am I right in thinking I might just of not sealed them tight enough when I capped them? I'm hoping the rest will be ok, is it common to have the odd flat beer in an otherwise good batch?

how did you prime your brew if you batch primed did you stir it every say 10 bottles
i always do ...
just incase the sugar solution settles down the bottom of the bottling bucket ...
or did you prime your bottles ...

regards mick... :hat: .

Hi mate, i primed the bottles with a teaspoon of sugar in each or it may have been 1/2 a tsp i can't quite remember.

chojo said:
Hi mate, i primed the bottles with a teaspoon of sugar in each or it may have been 1/2 a tsp i can't quite remember.

in that case i cant see any problem...
unless you were right about the caps not being on tight ...
iv never had this with my capper but i supose theres always a first time for everything...
i got both ..
a hand capper and a Counter Top Bottle Capper there both fine ...

sorry bud im stumped ...

A teaspoon for lager and a half teaspoon for ale and stout, works well for me. You may have missed a bottle when adding the priming sugar... easily done mate :thumb:

in that case i cant see any problem...
unless you were right about the caps not being on tight ...
iv never had this with my capper but i supose theres always a first time for everything...
i got both ..
a hand capper and a Counter Top Bottle Capper there both fine ...

sorry bud im stumped ...

Thanks anyway mick.

bottler said:
A teaspoon for lager and a half teaspoon for ale and stout, works well for me. You may have missed a bottle when adding the priming sugar... easily done mate :thumb:

God i hope so i really don't want another flat batch, if it is, that's it i quit !

Latest posts

Back