"Bottling" in a 5Ltr PET Water Bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scots_Pagan

Reaction score
Hi all...

My first wine, a 6-bottle Wilko "Cherry" wine kit (and the I use the term cherry under advisement. I've tasted more cherry from a sodding pick&mix sweetie!) is finally done and ready to bottle.

Since it's almost undrinkable right now, and it obviously needs aged a lot, can I just age it in a PET water bottle, instead of putting into bottles?
I sterilised and camden'd the water bottle, and I'm checking now and then to let out any CO2 buildup (very small amount, so either residual fermentation, or possibly just degassing)...
Do I need to do anything else? Or can I just leave it there till it's less...paint-strippery?

Scots_Pagan said:
Since it's almost undrinkable right now, and it obviously needs aged a lot, can I just age it in a PET water bottle, instead of putting into bottles?
Yes you can :thumb:

It's often better to leave it to age in bulk because it's less susceptible to temperature fluctuations.

Time usually sorts most wines out, I've made kit wines which had a very artificial cherry pie filling flavouring pack and they were horrible at first but quite acceptable after 6 months.

Could be a problem if it's a gallon brew, although if you've got an undrilled screw cap then you can squeeze the bottle to expel the air before closing it.

Just a regular screw-cap; it's still outgassing a bit, I've been unscrewing enough to let the pressure escape every couple of days so it doesn't balloon...

Dunno actually if it's gassing, or actual fermentation. I've stabilised, looked like it was stopped, racked it etc. so if it IS still fermenting, dunno how, it was down to 0.996 before I topped it up with water to a healthy 1.000.

Latest posts

Back