Bread yeast vs wine yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer

Reaction score
Hi i was just wondering what is the difference between bread yeast and wine yeast
thanks.

Bread yeast has been developed to munch the sugars in flour, Wine yeast munches the sugars in grapes. You can ferment beer or wine with bread yeast but it won't be particularly nice.

Always best to use the correct yeast for the job as the end result will be better.

Lots of people get along fine with Young's super wine yeast compound (or some name like that). General purpose wine yeast with nutrient mixed in.
I mainly use Gervin yeasts, a red wine one for stuff based on berries, a white wine one for stuff based on flowers or root veg, a high alcohol one for meads.
But I've also happily used yeasts from Lalvin and Ritchie's, and for cider I use Young's cider yeast.
I suspect the various suppliers get at least some of them from the same original lab anyway

Young's cider yeast gives a clean, fairly crisp, flavour (before any extra malolactic ferment)
Champagne yeast is similar, may (?secretly?) be the same strain
The Old Rosie yeast is recommended if you want malolactic as it carries the bacterium for that so you don't need to source it some other way
I've tried other yeasts, some are Ok, some are "interesting".
Having a 4 yeast taste test on Saturday which I'll write up on Sunday or Monday, depending on recovery time:
Young's Cider vs Young's general purpose red wine vs Gervin D (normally a white wine yeast) vs Munton's Gold (ale yeast)

homebrewer said:
Whats a good wine yeast out there?

I use youngs super wine yeast compound, it has several different ingredients including bentonite, I have never used anything else and have never had one finish early.

Chippy_Tea said:
I use youngs super wine yeast compound, it has several different ingredients including bentonite.

I've noticed this. You can actualy see the different componants in it. Is the bentonite the very black, gritty looking stuff?

If you buy Bentonite on it's own it looks like finely ground cat litter (because it is) - light grey

I rarely use All Purpose yeasts, but have had good results with the Youngs range especially the Bordeaux red and white. Lalvin D47 is also good one, gives some nice citrusy notes and ferments well.

Back