wyeast scottish ale yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No but i have used wlp-0028 Edinburgh ale yeast and IMHO i would say that it would be totally in appropriate for an IPA. You want something more neutral to allow the hops and malt to come through.

Hi there i would usualy use the whitelabs edinborough but have ran out and the harvested yeast was past its best i might just wait and get some edinborough ale yeas later for ipa

It's the same strain as 1725 (apparently). If i was using these for an IPA, I'd be sure to mash on the low side.

My "go to" yeast for any British style beer, except it sometimes fails to attenuate fully in stouts. Good clean profile, like Notty but better. :D

I just tried the wyeast took a while to start working the house was a bit cold but its working away nicely now.

Got a brew on at the moment with wlp028. It's a 1880s Youngers' IPA recipe so yeast should be appropriate to the recipe.

Does seem to be a slow fermenter. Grew it in a 1.8L starter on a stir plate and it was going within 6hrs of pitching but seems to have really slowed down after a day or two. After 5 days it's only gone from 1052 to 1032 and only dropped 4 points in the last 2 days. Given it a good stir tonight so hopefully that should have got it going again. (Fermenting at 20C)

I usually get whitelabs and use a stir plate and starter but wanted to try wyeast its the first time i used a smack pack.
Its slow to start i have no room for a temp control so its sitting at 20 to 21 most of the time in livingroom hope it turns out ok

Wyeast's Scottish ale yeast is my go-to for all Scottish beers. I really like it. I haven't tried it in anything other than /- and wee heavy beers though.

Back