On the rocks mixed berry HEEEELLPPP!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welshspud

Reaction score
Hi,

Wonder if someone can help, over some confusion with instructions.
I bought this Ritchies On the Rocks Mixed Berry Cider Kit hoping to make a start straight away, as I'm relatively new to home brewing I need some advice on the following instructions. (Please see attached photo of the can instructions.) There are no other instructions and I've searched the internet for videos or blogs, but cant find anything.

I'm Ok and understand the first 7 points of instruction for primary fermentation.
Point 8 - advises once fermentation is complete, to transfer the cider into a second bin.
My first question being, is this required to transfer into a second bin? As I don't have one?

Point 9 required to add the the apple add-back and stir well in the second fermentation bin, I'm guessing this is the cider flavouring which come separately (please see picture)
My second question, is how long does it stay in the second fermentation bucket? there is no indication of how long. just says after adding the apple add to proceed with one of the following (i.e bottling or barrelling).

Point 11 - Bottling, which is what I'm looking to do, states add 5oz of sugar and stir well to dissolve. Is this normal to do before bottling.
From other ciders I have made, I have been adding 1/2 a tea spoon of sugar to each bottle, not adding the sugar to the fermentation bucket.

Hope this makes sense, and doesn't sound too stupid. But not having much experience this seems quite unorthodox.

photo (1).jpg

image.jpg

Batch priming is much,much easier than individual bottle priming,just dump the sugar
in gently stir,if you dont tranfer to a.second barrel you risk unsettling the sediment that
has fallen to the bottom of the.fv.if i had to prime every bottle i would give up homebrewing !
Good luck

As with the above post, the second vessel is generally used for clearing and for secondary fermentation (batch priming before bottling).

I'm very new to the caper myself, but it seems the amount of time in the secondary vessel differs between brewers. Leaving for longer will help the flavours develop and mature. Most people seem to fall somewhere between 2 weeks and anything up to 3-4 months. Taste your brew as it develops to check on the changes in flavour and then you can decide when it is developing into something you want to drink/bottle. The flavours will still develop if you leave it to mature in the bottles.

You can still make this effectively without a second fermentation bin. The transferring to another bucket means that you will be getting rid of the majority of the sediment as you obviously leave that behind when you siphon. Once you have done this, you can leave it to mature for a number of weeks before adding the sugar and bottling. If you are going to do this method I would recommend dissolving the sugar in a cup of boiling water first and then adding to your bin to ensure it dissolves fully.

If you are not going to transfer to another bin then you can stir in the flavouring and then leave the sediment to settle for 24hrs before then siphoning it straight into bottles and priming as you have done before. You are more likely to get sediment in your bottles this way and will have the pain of putting sugar individually in each bottle.

You are always going to get some sediment in your bottles due to the reaction of sugar and yeast to create carbonation but racking to a secondary removes the majority of it.

Latest posts

Back