Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon Chaps,
I intend to make a Saison this evening. I started one last night using:

1 x Wilkos Delicate Pilsner
1kg Beer Enhancer
500g Extra Light Spraymalt
Brewed short to 20l
11g Belle Saison Yeast
1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient (shouldn't have done that, pitched at 18.00 and by this morning it had gone apes**t)
Tesco Mineral Water
Pitched at 26c
OG 1.051

Instead of using the same method I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about adding anything else? Coriander/Ginger etc?
:hmm:

Last edited:
Sounds simple enough, would be interested to know how 'Saisony' this tastes.

As for extra flavourings - in my opinion, you can chuck anything fruity and seasonal into a Saison and it will be ok, obviously in moderation! Maybe split the brew up and try some different things?

Orange blossom honey is good in a saison. The yeast will be quite spicy so you probably don't need herbs or spices in there to begin with. I'd try without and then see if it's missing something.

The Bellle yeast is not as fruity or as spicy as many of the Saison cultures, but you will still get some funky flavours. I do agree though that you should try the yeast first without additions, then if you want to increase any particular flavours you can adjust next time round.
Pitch at 20 degrees and let the temperature rise naturally.

Afternoon Chaps,
I intend to make a Saison this evening. I started one last night using:

1kg Beer Enhancer
500g Extra Light Spraymalt
Brewed short to 20l
11g Belle Saison Yeast
1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient (shouldn't have done that, pitched at 18.00 and by this morning it had gone apes**t)
Tesco Mineral Water
Pitched at 26c
OG 1.051

Instead of using the same method I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about adding anything else? Coriander/Ginger etc?
:hmm:

Update: Checked the gravity on Monday 28th and it was 1.004, Tuesday 1.003 and today, Wednesday, 1.003. If its 1.003 tomorrow I'll bottle it. The taste from the test jar was very dry and quite spicy/peppery. The fermentation temp went up to 28.9c so I set the STC at that temperature.

I'm starting another one of these today, using the above recipe, and will be adding 30g of crushed coriander and 15g of fresh grated ginger

Update: Checked the gravity on Monday 28th and it was 1.004, Tuesday 1.003 and today, Wednesday, 1.003. If its 1.003 tomorrow I'll bottle it. The taste from the test jar was very dry and quite spicy/peppery. The fermentation temp went up to 28.9c so I set the STC at that temperature.

I'm starting another one of these today, using the above recipe, and will be adding 30g of crushed coriander and 15g of fresh grated ginger

Another update: Couldn't bottle on Thurs as I didn't have time. checked the gravity on Friday morning and it had had gone down to .998. Just had another check and its the same. I'm going to leave it on the garage floor and bottle on Sunday or Monday.
Taste from the test jar was really dry. I was hoping to start drinking this as soon as possible but at this strength I think it will take ages to mature.
Never mind, its all a learning curve.

:smile:

Another update: Couldn't bottle on Thurs as I didn't have time. checked the gravity on Friday morning and it had had gone down to .998. Just had another check and its the same. I'm going to leave it on the garage floor and bottle on Sunday or Monday.
Taste from the test jar was really dry. I was hoping to start drinking this as soon as possible but at this strength I think it will take ages to mature.
Never mind, its all a learning curve.

:smile:

Update: Bottled this on Friday 31st July (batch primed with 160g Tesco Golden Sugar) Tried a small test bottle last night and although not a massive taste sensation and still just slightly sweet, I'm impressed. Its quite cloudy with a fair bit of yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Taste wise: Slightly dry, a touch of spice/pepper but hardly any and as I say, just a bit sweet. Quite refreshing, similar to my Wheat Beer. All in all I think this will turn out OK.

:thumb:

Update: Bottled this on Friday 31st July (batch primed with 160g Tesco Golden Sugar) Tried a small test bottle last night and although not a massive taste sensation and still just slightly sweet, I'm impressed. Its quite cloudy with a fair bit of yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Taste wise: Slightly dry, a touch of spice/pepper but hardly any and as I say, just a bit sweet. Quite refreshing, similar to my Wheat Beer. All in all I think this will turn out OK.

Yet another update:
Tried a couple of bottles yesterday and it tastes very similar to a Wheat beer I made earlier in the year. Cloudy, good head retention and very refreshing, very slight sweet aftertaste, but not too much. Not spicey, well hardly any, and no pepper. Definitely not dry. I tried a Saison at the GBBF at Olympia this year and that one tasted a bit on the dry side but the one I tried at the Clacton beer festival (bottled) tasted the same as mine.
All in all, I'm pleased with this as I do like a Wheat beer and I found this to be a very easy beer to make and drink. I really only brewed this as the temperature in my brewery (garage) just wouldn't drop below 25/26c in the daytime. I set the STC in my brew box to 27.5c and just left it for 9 days.

I have made another two of these, both to different recipes. Ill give you an update when these are ready.

Last edited:
Update.
Set another two brews on:
01/08/14
First using:

1Kg Beer Enhancer
500g Light Spray Malt

100g Crushed Wheat Malt
30g Crushed Coriander Seeds (both simmered for 30 mins)

11g Belle Saison Yeast
Tescos Mineral Water
Brewed short to 20L
Yeast Nutrient
Yeast pitched at 26c
OG 1.050
FG 0.998
6.6%
8 Days in FV
Bottled
Primed 160g Golden Sugar

Verdict:

A very lively beer, cloudy after chilling in the 'fridge. Plenty of head, all the way down. Wouldn't say it was spicey, very refreshing really like a Wheat Beer. Plenty of flavour.
22/08/14

Second using:

1Kg Beer Enhancer
500g Extra Light Spray Malt

100g Crushed Wheat Malt
35g Fresh Grated Ginger
30g Crushed Coriander Seeds
10g Crushed Black Peppercorns (all simmered in a muslin bag for 30 mins)

11g Belle Saison Yeast
Tap water with 1 campden tablet
Brewed short to 20L
Yeast Nutrient
Yeast Pitched 26c
OG 1.053
FG 1.001
6.8%
11 Days in FV
Bottled
Primed 160g Golden Sugar

Verdict:

I can't really taste the Ginger or Black Pepper. It has a more intense flavour than the one above though not much. For all the effort , next time I think I will just use the first recipe, although it may mature into something more interesting.
This is one of my favourite beers and tasting a couple of Saisons from the GBBF at Olympia and Clacton Beer Festivals they taste fairly similar although mine are slightly sweeter. If you like a Wheat Beer, you will like this. Next time I plan to use a different Saison yeast as the Belle saison is quite expensive.

All in all I'm really pleased with these and will definitely doing some for the summer.

:party:

Back