Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wino2012 posted -

1 litre Innocent Apple and Raspberry Juice
1 1/2 ltr WGJ
800g sugar
Pectolase
Citric
Glycerine
Nutrient
Tannin from powder
EC- 1118 yeast or any champage yeast will do (more for the cool time of the year than anyhring else, plus I like dry wine)

Chuck it all in to 4 litres but hold back 1/2 litre of WGJ. When initial (and nutty) ferment has ended top up to neck with WGJ and some water.

Ferments in 10 days. Rack, stabilise, de-gass and fine. Drinkable in 14 days. Nice :thumb:
The same method can be used with Apple and Berry from Innoccent. Also very drinkable

Its just easier to use 'not from concentrate' otherwise you tend to have to double up to retain the flavour. Chippy is right, it can be used but check for preservatives :thumb:

Can I just offer my thanks to Chippy for this thread. I stumbled across this forum whilst searching for info to make cider. After reading about making WOW and then other supermarket juice wines I'm hooked! I've just had a bottle of the original WOW that I bottled 2 weeks ago and I have to say it was a piece of p*ss to make but certainly didn't taste like it. I've learnt more about winemaking reading this thread than I ever knew. Previously when I tried to make wine there was just the library for info, no internet, yes I know hard to believe! Nowadays it's much easier to learn when you can watch someone else do it on youtube right in front of you. Nonetheless Chippy has taken the time to collate all the info and recipes and continually update the thread and for all that thank you. I have a few other DJs brewing and today I bought some apple and raspberry and apple and mango juices to try some other variants.

Thanks Simmo, the first two lines of the first post in this thread sum it up, i am glad members appreciate it.

When i first started wine making I spent a lot of time reading through threads here hoping to find recipes for Wurzels Orange Wine (WOW) variants and supermarket juice wines, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where new (and old) wine makers could find recipes members have posted all in one place, so here it is.

I haven't added a recipe of my own for a while as i tend to make the same two wines every time due to availability of the juice and the final product which we think is amazing, these are Apple/Mango + WGJ and Apple/Raspberry + WGJ, i actually prefer the Raspberry but only just.

Keep your recipes and your thoughts on them coming and i will continue to update the thread when i can. :thumb:

I have just started 3 DJ's, i said above that i always make the same two wines at the moment due to ease of finding the juice and price, Mrs Tea must have decided it was time for a slight change to the usual ones we make as i found in the fridge two litre cartons of Apple/Peach and Pear and one of Apple/Raspberry, the peach one is 80% apple, 10% Peach and 10% Pear
, the prach/pear juice had 100g of sugar and the WGJ 170g so i added 750g of sugar to each, i am using powdered tannin for the first time and as i was advised in the forum it does clump, i hope the lava lamp effect manages to dissolve it before fermentation finishes.
I have made two DJ's of the apple/peach/pear and one of apple/raspberry.

Here is what i added -

750g of tate and lyles finest.

1 tsp pectolase

1 tsp citric acid (the juice of one lemon also works)

1 tsp Nutrient

1 tsp powdered tannin (a mug of black tea with 4 bags stirred over a 15 minute period also works)

1 tsp youngs super wine yeast compound

1 tsp Glycerine

After a quick trip to Sainsburys & Wilkos the following appeared in my basket.

e9anejag.jpg

I notice my RGJ is 100% from concentrate & nothing else whilst my Mixed Berry juice is 30% fruit and the rest being various regulators, sweeteners & colourings and the like.

Should I do anything with this juice first? There isn't any preservatives as far as I can see.

Ta

(Very excited!!)

When i use juice that is under 50% i always use 2 litres with a litre of grape juice, if you don't it might work out a bit weak tasting but give it a try, you could always add more juice to make it stronger, aim for a total sugar content of 1100g.

No need to do anything with the juice. :thumb:

Cheers mate.

The current list is :

Sainsburys 100% RGB
Sainsburys Mixed Berry Juice
Cherry Juice

All of these juices plus 800g of Whitworths makes 1060g.

1tsp of citric
1tsp of Pectolase
1tsp of Gervin Universal Wine Yeast
1tsp yeast nutrient.

Standby for further !!!!!

There should be very little pectin in the juices, so the pectolase is really just a precaution. I'd add it immediately before you pitch the yeast.

Chippy_Tea said:
When i use juice that is under 50% i always use 2 litres with a litre of grape juice, if you don't it might work out a bit weak tasting but give it a try, you could always add more juice to make it stronger, aim for a total sugar content of 1100g.

No need to do anything with the juice. :thumb:

2L of the mixed berry juice drink might make the finished wine very sweet because of the sweeteners. I'd make sure the second litre of juice onyl contained natural sugars. Pure cherry juice should work fine.

1tsp of citric
1tsp of Pectolase
1tsp of Gervin Universal Wine Yeast
1tsp yeast nutrient.

Standby for further !!!!!

Did you add tannin or a strong mug of black tea?

Add a teaspoon of Glycerine it makes a lot of difference to the finished wine, pour boiling water over the spoon to sterelise it, i normally add the glycerine before pitching the yeast. :thumb:

I added the Pectolase at the time, maybe 10 mins before the Yeast. Gave it all a nice swirl to make sure it was mixed.

The actual must is looking really good, bubbling like mad already. Smells lovely.

Added 300ml of a 3-bag tea after 10mins of brewing for the tannin.

All in all it was 20% cherry, 30% mixed berry & 100% RGB. 1060g of sugar in total. SG was 1.100, give or take.

V. Excited!!!

Hi all.

I've been lurking here for a while, reading up on some recipes when I came across this thread. I found the idea intriguing, so I decided to try it out for myself.

This is by no means my first brew, as I have six other demijohns sitting filled with various concoctions such as Maple Syrup Wine, a new mead and a couple of other wines.

Anyhow, my recipe went something like this.

1.5 Litres of White Grape Juice.
1 Litre of Lychee juice.
Strong tea.
Lemon juice.
800 grams of sugar.
And then the usual other stuff.

This is a slight variation from the normal quantities used and I have my reasoning. The lychee juice I used was only Eighteen percent, which is rather low, but I found it left a nice floral quality in the scent and flavour. Most recipes would have wanted more of the lychee juice due to the low percentage of fruit, but I didn't want these floral tones to be too overpowering, so I used more grape juice instead.

I'll be keeping an eye on it and, fingers crossed, it will go well.

Thanks for the inspiration! I'll let you know how I get on.

I've had my WOW variant bubbling away furiously now for 5 full days. It slowed ever so slightly so i decided on a quick testing session.

Firstly, the original SG was 1.100. It is now 1.002 so its certainly doing its job.

I tasted a bit... errr... phew.

Not tasty. Strong over powering alcohol flavour. Can't detect ANY of the juice flavours I added (so far..)

Is this normal? I was kind of expecting an alcoholic fruit juice taste but this was more like a thick, yeasty spirit weirdness with pink food colouring.

Not selling it am I .. haha

Let it finish and when it is clear have a taste, its way too early to expect it to taste nice.

what juice did you use and what % were they?

What did you add?

The exact ingredients are a few posts previous to this one, can't remember off the top of my head now.

How long are we talking to be left do you think? I like wine dry so don't mind back sweetening if I need too.

Keep testing it till it's down to minus 0.998 then rack it off to mature????

Latest posts

Back