Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just put two DJ's of the above on (see last post) Tesco have brought out a new Apple and Raspberry 1 litre juice drink (not from concentrate)
Apple 91% and Rasberry 9%, as its 100% juice i have only used one per DJ and a litre of WGJ in each. :cheers:

I altered the sugar to 750g to make 1000g total

This stuff doesn't hang about (click on image)

Chippy_Tea said:
This stuff doesn't hang about

swmbo was nearly very angry with me on one of my batches. i suspect the 9% raspberry pure makes it react like a rocket.. increasingly fun to watch on the second day though as she was running around trying to find my drip tray to save cleaning the cooker :whistle:

although made to perfect measurements just kissing the bung and returning down the neck

whitts. said:
[quote="Chippy_Tea":wa9wn4q2]This stuff doesn't hang about

swmbo was nearly very angry with me on one of my batches. i suspect the 9% raspberry pure makes it react like a rocket.. increasingly fun to watch on the second day though as she was running around trying to find my drip tray to save cleaning the cooker :whistle:

although made to perfect measurements just kissing the bung and returning down the neck[/quote:wa9wn4q2]

hahaha try the pineapple if you want to see something alive. I have had to rack it twice on the first day. :shock:

Agree about the pineapple version! Speaking of which it's been 7 days since I added finings to the pineapple wine I did and it's dropped some sediment but it's still very cloudy, my original wow is crystal clear. Should I have added more pectolase at the beginning or do I just need to keep waiting? Is there anything that can be done if nothing changes?

iv just done a pineapple wow and within hours it was trying to climb out . it will teach me to use a whole pack of yeast in a gallon batch :doh:

Sone said:
Agree about the pineapple version! Speaking of which it's been 7 days since I added finings to the pineapple wine I did and it's dropped some sediment but it's still very cloudy, my original wow is crystal clear. Should I have added more pectolase at the beginning or do I just need to keep waiting? Is there anything that can be done if nothing changes?

How much pectolase did you add?

Which Finings do you use?

Added 1/2 teaspoon (same as original wow) which is what I normally do, it's wilkos pectolase which says 1 teaspoon per 23 litres but maybe I should start using 1 teaspoon to be on the safe side? I use the bottled vinclear finings :thumb:

I recently started using the Wilco one after using the youngs version and didn't realise it was 1 tsp to 23 litre so was using 1 tsp to a gallon, I changed to half a tsp and all my wines have been fine, i have noticed however the older the Vinclear is the longer it takes to clear the wine.

For those who like to make Supermarket juice wines, here are some new ones, 100% juice not from concentrate.

a66666666666666.jpg

I added an extra cap full of vinclear and it seems to have helped and is clearing a bit more, either that or maybe it just needs a bit more time like you say :thumb:

Sone said:
I added an extra cap full of vinclear and it seems to have helped and is clearing a bit more, either that or maybe it just needs a bit more time like you say :thumb:

I pour mine straight into the DJ and give it a good stir with my degassing drill attachment, it has always worked fine.

I got a couple of sachets of Vinclear powder today, the instructions say to use half the sachet for 4.5 litres and the full pack for 23 litres, i have read powder is much better than the liquid version as it does not deteriorate with age.

vinclear-sachet-22.5l-902-p.jpg

Picked up a drink a few weeks ago called Princess Tropical fruit juice and is a fruit juice so water in it

Used a 15 litre demi and added 8 litres of Tropical and 3 litres WGJ, all I had in house was 2 litres sugar and readings said about 13% final though I never bothered taking the final but from the 2 bottles just finished I would say that is just about right

All the other usual stuff went in including a mug of very strong tea

I did at the end after killing the yeast and de gassing add 1.5 litres WGJ to back sweeten but I realise 1 litre or even half would have been plenty but all I can say is WOW

Really nice this one

Robbo posted -

My best WoW is

1 litre of Blueberry juice

2 litres of Red Grape Juice

1 Kg of sugar

1 Tsp of Citric Acid or Juice of one Lemon (lemon juice is better in my opinion)

1 Tsp of Yeast Nutrient

1/4 Tsp of Epsom/Andrews Salts

1 Tsp of Youngs Super Wine Yeast Compond

Water to 4.5 litres

This makes a lovely fresh Rose

I have just put two DJ's of the above on (see last post) Tesco have brought out a new Apple and Raspberry 1 litre juice drink (not from concentrate)
Apple 91% and Raspberry 9%, as its 100% juice i have only used one per DJ and a litre of WGJ in each. :cheers:

I altered the sugar to 750g to make 1000g total

I have bottled the above wine and i could quite happily drink it now, considering i only used 1 litre of the apple & Raspberry juice (with 1 litre WGJ) it has a very strong Raspberry taste, i reckon you could use half a litre of apple & Raspberry and add an extra half litre WGJ and it would still be a nice wine.

My first ever 23 litre FV wine.

5 litres of apple and Raspberry (tesco 100% juice)

5 litres of White grape juice,

3750g sugar taking the total to 5kg

Teapot full of tea and a mug with about 10 bags altogether for tannin.

2 tsp Youngs super wine yeast

5 tsp pectolase

5 tsp nutrient

3 tsp citric acid

5 tsp Glycerine

Its been on 24 hours and is bubbling away nicely.

That's a nice combination Chippy.

I've put a Cranberry and Raspberry with Red Grape this evening, and it is going to be a strong one.

2 litres of Cranberry and Raspberry Juice

1 Litre of Red Grape Juice

1 Teaspoon of Citric Acid

1 Teaspoon of Nutrients

1 Teaspoon of Tomato Puree, (extra nutrient)

1/8 of a Teaspoon of Epsom or Andrews Salts, this kick starts the fermentation and also stops the yeast from clumpimg together.

850g of Sugar

1 Teaspoon of your favourite yeast, (Best to make a Starter)

Once all the ingredients have been added to the demi john except the yeast you will find that there is no room for the vigorous fermentation. So i poured out some of the must out of the demi john and into another bottle. Keep this liquid so you can top up the demi after racking. This will keep your potential %ABV steady.

Chippy_Tea said:
When i first started wine making I spent a lot of time reading through threads here hoping to find recipes for Wurzels Orange Wine (WOW) variants and supermarket juice wines, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where new (and old) wine makers could find recipes members have posted all in one place, so here it is.

This bit is important please read in full

The WOW guide below suggests using 1 litre of orange juice and 1 litre white grape juice, i found the end result to be a bit watery so now make all my WOW variants using 2 litres of the main juice and 1 litre of either red grape juice (RGJ) or white grape juice (WGJ).
I would advise all new members to follow the WOW guide to the letter using one litre of the main juice and either one litre of white grape juice or one litre of red grape juice then alter the recipes if the finished wine is not to your taste.

If you find something you like, change an existing recipe or make a variant not already posted add your recipe and any comments on it. :thumb:

Read the original Wurzels Orange Wine (WOW) guide here - viewtopic.php?t=10179

Here are a couple of videos on how to make WOW if you don't want to read the WOW guide -

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpkXCowv2Ys

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQQdkS0JAw

I will start the ball rolling -

Pomegranate wine. (one of my favourites)

2 litre Pomegranate juice. (see bottom of post for details)

1 litre White Grape Juice (WGJ)

700g Sugar.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of strong black tea.

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super yeast)

1 tsp Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

Make the wine using the original method here - viewtopic.php?t=10179

Edit to add -

The pomegranate juice is a juice drink, details below.

ingredients

Water,
Fruit Juices from Concentrate 33% (Pomegranate 30%, Aronia Berries),
Natural Fruit Sugars,
Flavours,
PurePlus™ (100% Natural Pomegranate Extract)

Free From Artificial Colours
Free From Artificial Sweeteners
Free From Artificial Preservatives

thumb_1c3065df.jpg
Chippy tea,I have made your pomegranate wine and it is just clearing at the moment,I have had a taste and it tastes great already,if I were to make 25 litres of this would I just x5 all the above ingredients and would this also be the case for all other wow's? Many thanks for the recipe

No problem glad you liked it.

If you look at the next to last post on page 4 of this thread you will see my first 22.5 litre recipe, in all my wows if the main juice is not 100% juice I double up so you would need 10 pomegranate and 5 white grape.

You don't need to put 5 teaspoons of yeast in as 2 is enough.

That's great,thanks very much,going to get a 25 Ltd screw top fv this weekend,bring it on!

I have a bucket marked to 23 litre (it will hold more) that has a small hole and grommet to allow you to use an airlock, i have seen those screw top ones but i imagine they are harder to clean.

This is not mine but very similar.

!BuWLl!QEGk~$(KGrHqZ,!iYEv1+0FqUmBL+8dd7jww~~_12.JPG

Latest posts

Back