Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone made a fruit juice wine using all juice and no water? Intrigued as to what the difference would be, given that 'proper' wine is supposed just to be grape juice.

I have never tried that but imagine it would be like drinking Ribena straight from the bottle, i find one litre of WGJ and one litre of any other 100% juice is about as strong as i want it to be.

You could always add an extra litre to your next wow and see if its too strong and work from there.

Chippy_Tea said:
I have never tried that but imagine it would be like drinking Ribena straight from the bottle, i find one litre of WGJ and one litre of any other 100% juice is about as strong as i want it to be.

You could always add an extra litre to your next wow and see if its too strong and work from there.

I have used 4 ltrs of WGJ and a kilo of sugar as an experiment. It finished fermenting a little early I think because the abv was in the region of 17% but I stabilised it,cleared it and bottled it. It's a bit like a rather sweet Liebfraumilch ,nice,very strong but an occasional glass rather than a daily regime.

Scots_Pagan posted -

HI all. Having a stab at a WOW-style wine.
Recipe:
1Ltr Peach juice (not from conc.), found in Tescos
1.5Ltr Tescos WGJ
700g sugar
1tsp yeast nutrient
1tsp youngs super yeast
1tsp pectolase
1/2 squeezed lemon
1 cup of strong Earl Grey tea
Handful of raisins for body.
SG was 1.100 at about 4.5ltrs, so I'm guessing about 1.9 when topped to the gallon, which if stopped at 1.00 will realise about 13.3% ABV.

Okay I will try it some time and report back.

I can't see how the flavour would be particularly overpowering. Wine grapes have a lot more flavour than the grape juice we buy in the shops and proper wine is 100% juice.

So I'm thinking 2 grape, 1 pineapple and 1 orange.

Anyone any thoughts on that? Too much acid?

Having made many gallons of wow variants I know using 1 litre of 100% juice and 1 litre of wgj makes a wine that is more like alcopop than wine, I like it and so does Mrs Tea, I think using 4 litres of juice will be too strong, i guess the only way to find out is to try it.

Chippy_Tea said:
Having made many gallons of wow variants I know using 1 litre of 100% juice and 1 litre of wgj makes a wine that is more like alcopop than wine, I like it and so does Mrs Tea, I think using 4 litres of juice will be too strong, i guess the only way to find out is to try it.

After trying a few different combinations this is pretty much what I do. I aim for a final ABV of around 10% and it is quite smooth straight away. It is also great 50/50 with lemonade as a 'thirst quencher'

Matt

MattN said:
Chippy_Tea said:

After trying a few different combinations this is pretty much what I do. I aim for a final ABV of around 10% and it is quite smooth straight away. It is also great 50/50 with lemonade as a 'thirst quencher'

Matt

:shock: OMG someone shoot that man. He diluted his wine with lemonade. :roll:

Matt

:shock: OMG someone shoot that man. He diluted his wine with lemonade. :roll:

Did you miss the highlighted words? :roll:

It is also great 50/50 with lemonade as a 'thirst quencher'

Hi this is my first non-standard WOW

It is based on one of the recipes posted earlier on this thread but I put in orange to keep it a true WOW :D

1 x 1 litre ASDA White grape juice
1 x 1 litre ASDA pure pineapple juice
1 x 1 litre budget orange juice
1 tsp citric
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp glycerol
1 cup tea
450 gms sugar
Gervin GV6 yeast

SG 1.084

I will update this post with results and observations

Chippy_Tea said:

Matt

[quote:3bb40tvs] :shock: OMG someone shoot that man. He diluted his wine with lemonade. :roll:

Did you miss the highlighted words? :roll:

It is also great 50/50 with lemonade as a 'thirst quencher'

.[/quote:3bb40tvs]
Thanks chippy

I had to giggle about this last night. A friend of the OH was round for a drink and I asked if she would like to try a couple of different homebrews. A good few later we got to a Shiraz. She said it was nice, and.... wait for it....ahem.... perfect for a...... red wine and coke!!!

All I could think about was what would bryanandjudie have to say about this!! lol

Matt

ps it is called Kalimotxo, Motorina and Tesco Sangria if anyone is interested.

1 litre Tesco 100% Apple and Mango

1 Litre Welch’s 100% Pure Rose grape juice

750g Sugar.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of strong black tea. (3 bag)

1 tsp Yeast (i use young's super yeast)

1 tsp Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

I have never used Rose grape juice before so looking forward to the end result.

Chippy_Tea said:
My first ever 23 litre FV wine.

5 litres of apple and Raspberry (tesco 100% juice)

5 litres of White grape juice,

3750g sugar taking the total to 5kg

Teapot full of tea and a mug with about 10 bags altogether for tannin.

2 tsp Youngs super wine yeast

5 tsp pectolase

5 tsp nutrient

3 tsp citric acid

5 tsp Glycerine

Its been on 24 hours and is bubbling away nicely.

I don't have a second FV big enough to rack this much wine into so i finished the wine in the first bucket, i added 5 crushed campden tablets and 5 teaspoons of stabiliser and a sachet of vinclear and gave it a good thrashing with my drill degasing wand, it cleared in 2 days.

Bottled this tonight and we had a glass each to try it, Mrs Tea has always likes the Raspberry/Apple + WGJ wine and this is spot on, another WOW success. :cheers: :thumb:

Chippy_Tea said:
[quote="Chippy_Tea":18xw5q3q]I have just put on a gallon of Pomegranate and a gallon of Apple & Raspberry which i haven't tried before, hope it tastes as good as it smells. :cheers:

2 litres Tesco Apple & Raspberry Juice Drink

1 litre white grape juice (tesco)

Plus -

650g sugar making 1000g total.

tps Youngs super wine yeast

tsp nutrient

Half cup of black tea

tsp Citric acid

tsp Pectolase

tsp Glycerine

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Ingredients

Apple Juice From Concentrate (48%),Water ,Raspberry Purée (8%) ,Glucose-Fructose Syrup ,Sugar ,Malic Acid ,Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)

I have just bottled this and its turned out better than i expected, i will defiantly be putting one on again in the near future. :cheers:

.[/quote:18xw5q3q]

Do you just to this up with water to 5 ltrs when starting ferment had died down? What does the pectolase do?

I don't top up until i have racked to a second DJ after fermentation has finished plus a week, this is because when i degas with my drill attachment if i had already topped up it would bubble out of the top of the DJ. (there is a lot of CO2 in a gallon of wine)
So basically i rack onto a crushed campden tablet, add stabiliser,degas and add finings, i then top up and give it a quick stir, put the airlock back on and move it to the under stairs cupboard.

Chippy_Tea said:
I don't top up until i have racked to a second DJ after fermentation has finished plus a week, this is because when i degas with my drill attachment if i had already topped up it would bubble out of the top of the DJ. (there is a lot of CO2 in a gallon of wine)
So basically i rack onto a crushed campden tablet, add stabiliser,degas and add finings, i then top up and give it a quick stir, put the airlock back on and move it to the under stairs cupboard.

Quick question for you Chippy. If I am making a DJ full and calculate the amount of sugar in the juices and make this up to 10%ABV (For five litres) using the relevant calculations and top up the DJ to 4.5b litres.(Giving it room to do its thing) Then syphon off when it is done to degas, fine and stabilise, I will probably end up with 4 litres.

If I then top this up to five litres is this 10%ABV?

Regards

Matt

I've heard really good reveiws about the Pomegranite WoW, so i have put one of these brews on. It has a darker colour than I imagined and looking forward to the end result.

Back