Tesco revisionist dark ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just sampling a bottle and it's fantastic. According to the label it's made with chinook and citra so a nice strong hoppy flavour which Is right up my street.

Don't quite understand how a pale ale can be dark but hey ho, it still tastes great.

I had one of these a while back, a dark ipa?! But like you say, rather tasty. My wife also picked up some beer from b&m bargains, one of which was a 'pure citra' which I think claimed to be from the first uk commercial brewery to use them. I can't remember the name, but it had a green man face on the label and citra written in green - that was very tasty too...

I had one of these a while back, a dark ipa?! But like you say, rather tasty. My wife also picked up some beer from b&m bargains, one of which was a 'pure citra' which I think claimed to be from the first uk commercial brewery to use them. I can't remember the name, but it had a green man face on the label and citra written in green - that was very tasty too...

Was it this

http://www.oakhamales.com/citra.html

Tried it in and a pub in Kennington that has most of the Oakham ales on tap but I didn't like it

That's the one, I could have drunk several of those over the summer months!

I've had it draught and in bottles, and I think I prefer it in bottles.

Presume it's conditioned a while in the bottles.

That's the one. I'm slightly smitten by citra so I was always going to like it.

Yeah, I just don't understand how/why the darkness doesn't give it more body, thought that would have been the point? It's ok, but just ok, I dont think it's decent competition for the other beers around it for the same price.

The darkness is probably provided by adding dark grains at the end of the mash or by cold steeping - and it could be Carafa malt. The idea of Black IPAs is to be like a pale IPA but simply coloured black. But a lot of Black IPAs do carry some roast flavour, just less than stouts and porters.

That's the one. I'm slightly smitten by citra so I was always going to like it.

Have you tried M&S Citra IPA? I bought a couple of bottles the other day and tried one along with one of each of the new American style beers produced by Marston's for Tesco. The Citra was definitely the best of them all.

Have you tried M&S Citra IPA? I bought a couple of bottles the other day and tried one along with one of each of the new American style beers produced by Marston's for Tesco. The Citra was definitely the best of them all.

I haven't, will make sure i pick one up next time I'm in M&S tho.

I tried one of these last night, after recommendation here and agreed, it's nice. Be great in the summer, very refreshing.

I also picked up their Amarillo single hop beer, not tried that one yet. They are on mix and match 3 for £6

Back