Tesco Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howyoubrewin

Regular.
Reaction score
I know that this isn't a homebrew beer but for anyone who is a hop head like me this beer is a must try.
This IPA although sold as Tesco own is in fact brewed by brewdog and for anyone who isn't familiar with their beers, they produce the most incredible range of beers and they take great pleasure in hopping their beers to the hilt! Tesco double IPA is no different. At 9.2% abv it packs a punch but is reasonably priced at £1.99 per 330ml bottle. It is a rich copper colour that pours nicely,although the head doesn't stick around probably due to the alcohol content which also means no lacing in the glass.Not a big deal. In the nose dept it smacks you in the face the minute you crack the bottle. They have definitely doubled the hop profile of this beer! you get a floral whiff of new age hops thats become synonimous with brewdog beers like their punk ipa and jackhammer. Taste wise it is intense! A malty mouthful and you guessed it.. hop bomb! A real sharp bitterness to it too with the hop profile.
I conclude by urging you to descend on your nearest Tesco and seek out this beer! It will be nestled unassuming on a shelf in the world beer section probably being overlooked due to the Tesco's own label pasted on it but look closer and you'll see the emblem every hophead recognises.
Happy hunting brewers!

Overlooked probably due to its price, 1.99 for 330ml is too steep for a tightwad like me.

It's funny, that's a great description and it does sound amazing but... the bit that caught my attention was the 1.99 for 330ml too!

Too steep for me too, maybe a one bottle one off treat next time I'm in there buying. I guess it's the extra high alcohol content that makes it pricey.

Not cheap, but well worth it in my opinion. Great brew to sip slowly in the evening. Didint expect much from a beer made for tesco, but was pleasantly suprised. Absolutely loved every sip. Give it a go guys!

We all pay more than £1.99 for a pint of swill in the pub.

My tip is to try the Sixpoint Bengali Tiger sold in cans in Wetherspoons. Intensely hoppy and splendid. They recently stopped doing Goose Island IPA, another lovely hoppy beer which you can buy in shops for about £1.75.

I agree with Clibit. I was in a craft beer bar in Paris last night (La Fine Mousse) and had coincidentally, BrewDog U-Boat at 5.50€ per 25 cl which equals 12.50€ a pint or around £9.90 a pint. It costs more than double to make a 9° beer than it does a 4.5° beer so pay up!!! Your taste buds will thank you :thumb:

Yeah that has been out for a while, it is there hardcore IPA but branded for Tesco. Brill beer

Back