Best commercial beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the flip side, tried Brew Dog Dead Pony IPA the other day and was really disappointed. Was not hoppy at all and could only smell the malt! Guess they were a couple of old bottles.

Dead pony is pretty hoppy, it's actually one of my favourite so I think you're right that the bottles must have been stale. I'd definitely suggest trying again. I had it on draught on Sunday and it was bloomin marvellous.

Dead pony is pretty hoppy, it's actually one of my favourite so I think you're right that the bottles must have been stale. I'd definitely suggest trying again. I had it on draught on Sunday and it was bloomin marvellous.

Might try it again then, but avoid buying it from my local Sainsbury's! It was so bad I did wonder what the fuss was about! Didn't taste off, just tasted bland. The choice of IPAs there is pretty **** too. Punk IPA is ok, but nothing special. The only other decent one they sell seems to be Goose Island.

Oh to have a local pub that has craft beer on tap. I imagine it will hit Norfolk around 2020.

Sophisticated tastes there dad! I often have a Bengali Tiger in Wetherspoons, lovely stuff!

You should try it, hops_and-dreams, given that you like Lagunitas IPA, Adnams Mosaic Pale Ale and Goose Island IPA. I like Lagunitas and Goose Island too, not had the Adnams Mosaic.

Tell my wallet about it :whistle:

Still I'm at the point now where I can't beat the expensive stuff, I have the regular commercial stuff beaten so I don't buy them now, but the top end commercial beers are a genuine treat. Don't have the space to cellar stuff for 2-3 years or the kit to match Aventinus.

Haven't read the whole thread just the last page or two. A lot of beers I've never heard of there but will keep an eye out for. I'll say this, having recently had a Brewdog Punk IPA I really thought it wasn't nice at all and completely over-hopped but I guess that's personal taste.

Some of my personal favorite shop bought beers are pretty much anything by Badger Brewer, Tanglefoot and Hopping hare are gorgeous beers. Thwaites Nutty Black and Mud City Stout is really nice darker beers, Fraoch Heather Ale is great

The Carlsberg adverts were brilliant, I'm not sure they showed you get that State side though? It's a terrible lager, but the adverts were funny. Carlsberg don't do ..... but if they did they'd probably be the best ... in the world ads.

The downside of living in North Norfolk is that we don't get many exotic beers on tap in the local pubs! The upside is you can nearly always get an Adnams pint. Mosaic is fantastic and probably my favourite pint, can't praise it highly enough! Not as hoppy as the others and slightly cloudy so guess it's a bit wheaty perhaps? Ghost Ship and Dry Hopped Lager are other Adnams favourites of mine.

I did get a bit exited when we walked into a country pub the other day and they had an IPA on tap - Greene King West Coast, was actually very nice for a 'commercial' brewery.

There is a very big upside to living in north norfolk......:-D

beers of europe, south of kings lynn. Have you visited it?

That's a pretty impressive range of beers! The wallet would certainly be lighter after a visit there.

My dad lives further round the coast that way, will have to see if he's been.

+1 for Cromarty. Red Rocker, Hit the lip, Happy Chappy. They really are something for a brewer to aim at. Don't know if they still do Kowabunga but ones enough to make my evening.

Allthough I like my beers hoppy like La Chouffe Houblon. You can wake me up any time with Cuvee du chateau by Castle brewery van Hounsebrouck or Goudenband by Liefmans. If I'm thinking of a UK beer it would be The Red monk of Iona by Isle of Mull Brewing Co.

Allthough I like my beers hoppy like La Chouffe Houblon. You can wake me up any time with Cuvee du chateau by Castle brewery van Hounsebrouck or Goudenband by Liefmans. If I'm thinking of a UK beer it would be The Red monk of Iona by Isle of Mull Brewing Co.

Must try that one,been to Iona three times with my work,beautiful place.
Beers expensive though.

Anyone tried 13 guns from Tesco ?
4 cans for a fiver.
It's not too shabby.

Must try that one,been to Iona three times with my work,beautiful place.
Beers expensive though.

Anyone tried 13 guns from Tesco ?
4 cans for a fiver.
It's not too shabby.

not in local tesco's but picked up a 330ml can in morrisons. Morrisons was about £1.65 a can :sick:

Also tried hardknott's red alert 6.2% 'red' IPA, that was nice.

My favourite beers, in no particular order, apart from the number one ;-)

#1 Tribute by St Austell Brewery, especially as served in the Old Inn, Mullion, Cornwall but still pretty good in a bottle from Asda.

#2 La Goudale, a French wheat beer that's sometimes available in Aldi.

#3 Hopping Hare by Badger, or Hall and Woodhouse to be precise.

#4 Copper Ale by Palmers Brewery in Bridport, Dorset.

#5 pretty much anything by the Jurassic Brewery in Dorset

For me the best supermarket beers are Shepherd Neame IPA (only seen this in ASDA) and St Austell Proper Job (I think it's 5.6%, but I've also seen an inferior 4% version on cask).

Shepherd Neame is currently 4 for £5 in my ASDA. Hardly worth home brewing at that money!

Brewdog punk IPA, Sierra Nevada pale ale or Hoegaarden.

But having just come back from Amsterdam these are all in jeopardy!

Really enjoyed a pint of Gales Seafarers ale in a Fullers pub last night. Light, malty and sessionable.

I found the taste a little like London pride but lighter, probably why I liked it so much. According to the Fullers website it's supposed to use the Gales yeast strain but maybe they use the Fullers strain to give an echo of a similar taste.

Couldn't find a receipe but I have a reciepe for Gales Butser Bitter which I think would be very like the seafarers, at least grain, ABV% and IBU wise anyway. So am going to make this next - quite excited really.

Just tried this again and it is absolutely gorgeous! The last bottles were definitely old as this is very hoppy. Will definitely buy this again, unfortunately I only have the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back