Best commercial beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thwaites best bitter, served in the 'lion' on Settle high street, North Yorkshire. It's a Lancashire brew but I can forgive it cos it's lovely !
No longer made but took some beating was the original Boddingtons bitter from Manchester, not the crappy widget stuff you get now. And also no longer made since bloody Carlsberg took over, was the original Tetleys bitter on draught, creamy smooth with a tight head that lasted all the way down the glass.
Oh how I miss Yorkshire sometimes.....

Ps not forgetting Daleside Blonde and bitter, from Pately Bridge...

There's not much I don't like but I do enjoy a pint of Theakstone's best in particular. The best pint I had was a Thwaite's Bitter after being stuck in a traffic jam on Woodhead pass for 2.5 hours on a hot day. Bottled well it depends on mood but I quite like Goose Island, once I go used to it. And the Wold Top beers are fantastic

However if I can turn it round there are only three beers I cannot get on with, Moorhouse, "Hen" series, to me they have a strange burnt caramel flavour I just don't get. Some of the Marston's brews like the Single Malt and the Double Drop seem to have a harsh almost tannic flavour that I don't find appealing. (Although I do like Pedigree) The other one was a Badger beer and I can't remember it's name but it had a fruit addition, (I can't even remember what the fruit was) this was the only beer I have ever poured down the sink. Any other pet hates out there? It might be an interesting twist to the thread if the hijack isn't too bold.

Greene King East coast IPA
Not too shabby?

Yes, I've tried this and it's good. Funnily enough I had a pint yesterday with my lunch, it went down well in the hot sun! Also tried Belhaven Craft Pilsner, which was pretty good too.

On the flip side, had a pint of Coors later on in the evening, the reason being that it was colder than the Ghost Ship I'd started on, it was horrible! Strange how your tastes change as I used to really like it. Needless to say I went back to Ghost Ship!

I encountered Fullers ESB for the first time yesterday.
4 bottles for 6 quid from Tesco, so whilst the missus was wasting money on food, I picked up 8 bottles.
I ended up quaffing the lot last night! I thought it was tremendous and can't believe I'd never tried it before.
I'm gonna buy a dozen bottles and squirrel 'em away for Chrimbo.

Only just tried ESB???? You've got a lot of catching up to do. I've drunk ESB in an INdian restaurant in Houston Tx and in the middle of the Algerian desert.
My favourite in McEuwens Championship ale. Lots of different flavours, but quite strong, therefore can't drink too much of it.
BG

Only just tried ESB???? You've got a lot of catching up to do. I've drunk ESB in an INdian restaurant in Houston Tx and in the middle of the Algerian desert.
My favourite in McEuwens Championship ale. Lots of different flavours, but quite strong, therefore can't drink too much of it.
BG

Strange isn't it? Just one of them drinks I've never gotten around to drinking. Probably doesn't help that I'm a greedy sod for Guinness. If they sell it, I buy it. If it's a naff pint, only then do I have something else.

It's one beer which is recommended for aging. The flavour should change (improve), especially as it's bottle conditioned.

Thanks! That's nice to know as I've ordered 24 for delivery and will keep them in the cellar.

In no particular order, Adnams Broadside, Ridleys Old Bob, Hob/King goblin, Farmers Ales Dark Horse.

I've been trying to get in to lighter beer and have really enjoyed tesco saison.

Found perfect storm and golden ratio a bit bland.

Really enjoy birds and bees, 7 giraffes, Joker ipa and March of the penguins.

Living in the West Country we are quite lucky to have some decent beer being made now.

Doom Bar from Sharp's brewery
Tribute and Proper Job from St Austell brewery
Legend and Jail Ale from Dartmoor brewery

All really nice clean beers, nothing to strong beinging between 4 and 5% but definitely beers you could drink all night

Living in the West Country we are quite lucky to have some decent beer being made now.

Doom Bar from Sharp's brewery
Tribute and Proper Job from St Austell brewery
Legend and Jail Ale from Dartmoor brewery

All really nice clean beers, nothing to strong beinging between 4 and 5% but definitely beers you could drink all night

Had a Thwaites crafty dan. The only crafty thing about it was the £2 I was conned out of to buy it :-(

Thwaites 13 guns is better but still not enough going on with it for me!

I don't tend to buy bottled commercial beers cos I have a huge stash of my own, but I do occasionally grab a bottle in the supermarket. I keep intending to try some bottles from good small breweries like Buxton but never get round to it.

So the best commercial beers I taste are on cask, sometimes keg, in Manchester craft bars. The best ones tend to come from relatively local breweries like Marble, Buxton, Redwillow and Pictish.

Redwillow Wreckless, Sleepless and Directionless always go down well.

Marble Lagonda IPA, Dobber, Pint, Earl Grey IPA and Stouter Stout are all always great.

Pictish do a lot of single hop ales which are good for hop tasting and always well made and conditioned. Alchemist and Brewers Gold are two regulars that are really good.

Buxton beers are always good, when I can get my hands on one. Used to be regular in my local. Moor Top is a great low strength beer with lots of Chinook hops. Light and refreshing.

Might get shot for this one but Bass Premium Pale Ale is pretty good at �£1 a bottle in Asda.

Favourites at the minute though are
Hobgoblin,
Trooper (Iron Maiden),
Hilden Halt Irish Red Ale(a Northern ireland brewery),
Goats Butt Wheat Beer Hillstown Brewery (Geterbrewed are I believe involved with them)

Had an Old Peculiar the other night and have to say I really enjoyed it will have to have a few more to be sure then add it to list ;)

Goose island for me at 1.79 in Sainsburys. Love the hops in that one.

Had a Sam Adams from Morrison's. That wasn't bad either.

Wychwood gold was on sale in Morrison's the other week too

I keep an Instagram hashtag to document the Beers I try. (my kids take the proverbial out of me for taking pictures of pints!!)

Beers that I'd look out for on tap, or have found to be particularly enjoyable

Hogs Back T.E.A
St Austell Proper Job
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Adnams Ghost Ship
Andwell's King John
Fullers Wild River
Moorhouse Premier Bitter
Orval - for the thoroughly unique experience (for me)

And many more...

looking at my most highly rated beers on untappd, the following all stand out as "instant order" beers should I see them anywhere:

Tripel Karmeliet
Left Hand Brewing Milk Stout Nitro
Beavertown Gamma Ray and Black Betty
Thornbridge Wild Raven and Jaipur
Bells Two Hearted
Revolver Blood and Honey
Heavy Industry 77
Arbor Ales Breakfast Stout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back