Coopers - Midnight Mosaic Amber Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calluma11

Reaction score
(Note: this isn't technically a brew day, but it will be this weekend :P )

They've finally come! I've been waiting for weeks for Mosaic Hops to be in the country and now I have some :-)

There's no room in the house, but I've convinced my dad I can brew by way of clarity firm (he's coeliac, so his ear pricked up and I managed to twist his arm)

I've recently done a Coopers Mexican Cerveza, and I used bottled water because my area (Doncaster) is hard water. With that being said, I plan to use tap water because it's a darker ale.
Should I add a campden tablet overnight before brewing, or should I be ok with tap water? -i've never done that before (and usually use tap water) but I'm wanting to step up my brewing.

The only issue I can see is that I wont be able to get the temperature down enough, but I can leave overnight in the garage and add less hot water?

I'll keep this updated thread when I brew
Many thanks,

Callum

I've got some of these hops to use in a Simply Pale ale at the weekend, hopefully will turn out nicely!
If it's remotely close to the Adnams one, I will be very happy.

The only hops i've ever used are H. Hersbrucker.. so i'm just excited to smell them first of all haha!

A friend of mine has 5kg of simcoe (his sister brought 5kg back from america - imagine what customs were like!!) and I was about to cave and use them, but i checked and was delighted to see they were back in stock :D

Let us know how you get on :)

Will do and likewise with yours. I'm looking forward to sunday and the smell, but I don't suppose making the house smell of beer will go down too well with the other half.

(Note: this isn't technically a brew day, but it will be this weekend :P )

They've finally come! I've been waiting for weeks for Mosaic Hops to be in the country and now I have some :-)

There's no room in the house, but I've convinced my dad I can brew by way of clarity firm (he's coeliac, so his ear pricked up and I managed to twist his arm)

I've recently done a Coopers Mexican Cerveza, and I used bottled water because my area (Doncaster) is hard water. With that being said, I plan to use tap water because it's a darker ale.
Should I add a campden tablet overnight before brewing, or should I be ok with tap water? -i've never done that before (and usually use tap water) but I'm wanting to step up my brewing.

The only issue I can see is that I wont be able to get the temperature down enough, but I can leave overnight in the garage and add less hot water?

I'll keep this updated thread when I brew
Many thanks,

Callum

It is surprisingly easy to reduce temperature if you have a kitchen sink that holds the pot used for boiling. Add water to the sink on the outside of the pot and the odd stir of the inside and outside gets it down quickly. A change of water also helps.

This looks an interesting recipie. Don't undertand the full implications of being coeliac and have read elsewhere that it is actually fairly difficult to make beer that will not upset this condition.

Good luck with it anyway!

Hi Slid, thanks for the message - why didnt I think of that?! Also, I could also put my FV in the big utility sink and immerse in cold water.

Only to the extent of what i've read, apparently the clarity ferm breaks down enough gluten proteins to be classed as gluten free (under 10ppm). Now, obviously it will affect everyone differently but there seems to be a lot of success with using it for that purpose. Regardless, this beer is for me - but my dad misses his beer so he's more than happy for any method i try and make GF beer. For the sake of £2 i thought i'd give it a go :)

Thanks again
Callum

If you're going to use tap water I would use a Campden tablet. It doesn't need to be overnight - just crush one and put it in the water on brew day. By the time it's at mash temp it will have done the job.

Stone brewery is brewing an IPA made with clarity ferm and labeling it as 'gluten reduced'.

http://blog.stonebrewing.com/index.php/stone-delicious-ipa/

I read a good article about the effectiveness of clarity ferm:

http://beerandwinejournal.com/clarity-ferm-iii/

My partner is ceoliac and I've promised to give this a go.

Ooh that beer and wine journal is very promising. Thank you for that. I'll make sure to post my results.
I'm giving my dad (who is coeliac, but his symptons aren't too bad) first testing. Then my brother will taste (his coeliac symptoms are much more severe) Fingers crossed!

If you're going to use tap water I would use a Campden tablet. It doesn't need to be overnight - just crush one and put it in the water on brew day. By the time it's at mash temp it will have done the job.

Ah really, I always thought it did have to be overnight. That's good news, i'll just do it from the start, thankyou :)

There are lots of good articles and recipes on beer and wine journal.

I'll have to check it out a bit further, i was hoping to find a UK print magazine on homebrew but had no such luck.

Have you thought of using other grains? Sorghum, buckwheat, cracked corn, maybe with something like a saison yeast strain? Would be properly gf then but quite a different beer.

Hope your dad enjoys the results!

To be honest, no. But it's something you've opened my eyes to and i can definately incoporate those ideas :D
Thanks!

I made the brew yesterday. Already very happy.
This must've been quite literally the best tasting starter i've ever tasted! (and both my dad and brother keep asking how long it'll be. My brother has NEVER HAD ALE :-o and it's been quite some time for my dad)

Hop addittions went well, except i'm not too confident the measurements were correct. I was using VERY temperamental scales, with the smallest integer being 20g - so I have now ordered some digital kitchen scales to avoid that happening again. But that's what makes the brewday great. No two beers are the same :)

OG was 1063. I usually make average - low strength beers (1040ish) so people can enjoy a session, but I thought i'd go all out with this one. Looking at over 6% :D

Will let you know how I get on :)
Callum

One week on and it smells very fruity :)
Dry hopped my Centennial Hops (25g). The recipe says to add when the krausen sank (that was sometime midweek) and nothing else - which suggests leaving it until bottling. Greg Hughes' - How To Brew book says that any longer than a week it'll impart unanted, grassy characteristics.

I'm was planning to leave my beer at least 2 weeks, probably 3 weeks - just to clean up. So what is the 'ideal' length of time to leave dry hopped Centennial?*

Thanks
Callum

*i know this is more to do with personal taste, but i'd just like a general guide :)

Bottled today
OG - 1063
FV - 1015

So about 6.5% before priming.
Sample was great.

I'm going camping next weekend so hopefully i'll be able to chill some in the lake and taste. I know it'll be pretty green but i'll be taking advantage of the fresh hops flavours

Bottoms up!

Back