What are you drinking tonight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a lamentable (beer wise) evening in the pub, where I've drank four different bitters which were all rather average and indistinguishable from each other.

They were:
Youngs ordinary
Youngs London gold
Sam brooks wandle
Something else I forget what it was but it was a youngs beer billed as 'intensely spicy', but was about as spicy as my ****.

Frankly they were all a bit forgettable. I'd have had a pint of any of my own beers over these, any day.

Yet they were all nearly ���£4 a pint.

We're being had

They've got to be a bit bland as they've got to flog hectolitres of the stuff. If it was in anyway intersesting and exciting it wouldn't have mass appeal (probably why beer like budweiser sell so well too). This is where I think microbreweries have the advantage. As they're make far less in quantity so can make interesting and diverse beers.
Plus you've been spoiled now by your own HB now. WE all know it's relatively easy to make beers that blow your average pub pint out of the water

It's surprising how average those beers were. Youngs is a big brewer, and while I agree that the mass market won't ncessarily appreciate a 9% imperial coffee stout, the big breweries should be able to turn out decent beer. Maybe they were badly kept but they could have all been coming from the same barrel.

It's surprising how average those beers were. Youngs is a big brewer, and while I agree that the mass market won't ncessarily appreciate a 9% imperial coffee stout, the big breweries should be able to turn out decent beer. Maybe they were badly kept but they could have all been coming from the same barrel.

:lol:

Maybe thats how they do it... all soda stream just press the button for the bitter flavouring

4234646ce6fd1d7451d29dbb4a59323a.jpg

Going in fridge now for when I finish work

Be prepared to pay even more for Youngs beer as it was announced yesterday that they are adding 10p to a pint to cover the recent 'living wage' price rise :doh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-brewer-Young-s-raise-prices-pay-staff.html

essentially we are paying people more to server us c**p.

there is a self serve pub in the bryn-y-mor area of swansea (can't remember the name) and you can self serve. - don't get too exited - it precisely measures the amount. Maybe that's the way to go.

essentially we are paying people more to server us c**p.

there is a self serve pub in the bryn-y-mor area of swansea (can't remember the name) and you can self serve. - don't get too exited - it precisely measures the amount. Maybe that's the way to go.

The camp site I was at in Italy last year had a self service bar, you poured yourself a pint and then took it the counter to pay. Half the time there was no one there and you could have walked off with it if you were that way inclined.

I used it for two or three days til I realised I was being an idiot, and just bought the same beer in cans from the site supermarket for a third of the price.

Tonight, I'll be supping Fischer Witte Bier from a well chilled mini keg. Dry, malty and german. Bit like Hogarden, cloudy & lemony. Got some help from the kids so the keg'll be empty tomorrow.

Just put my final bottles of both ag1 and ag2 and an very early bottle of ag4 in the fridge.

20160430_195234.jpg

20160430_180714.jpg

Last edited:
Last night I had a Sainsburys Taste The Difference American Pale Ale, a Sam Adams, a pint of Sierra Nevada, an Innis and Gunn oaked aged beer, a pint of Devil's Backbone IPA and a can of 13 Guns American IPA.

My favourite was the Innis and Gunn...it's a lovely beer.

Watching the cricket and enjoying a Mosaic IPA at present (SWMBO is upstairs, I refuse to watch Britain's Got Talent). Looking forward to a brew day tomorrow, not so much the bottling beforehand.

The only talent Britain has got is all here on this forum :grin:

what a fantastic range of brews we create!

just been to the local 'spoons.

my son and his friends have cleared out the bengali on their trip there last night:nono:

so i had to made do with a pint oferdinger on draft - nice.
a hogsback ipa - which was brown but ok and a flying dog snake ipa which was - meh.

Just had a pint of my extract hoppy(Amarillo and Cascade) IPA, bootifull, but can't get it out of the bottle without the crud!Guess a little crud won't harm you:)

Marynka Polish pale ale, done as a partial mash, but with a nod to the Greg Hughes single hop ales.

This is very good and having done two PPA's, I would say that this is an underestimated hop.

Don't judge me... Tanqueray No 10 and corona tonight

Got an IPA and cider in the FV so got a few weeks before I've any HB to drink...

like dad of Jon went to 'soons with my misses but pre drank a couple of tweaked coopers ales beforehand making most of the ales on tap taste pretty mediocre. must be doing something right though (finally)!
tried some concrete cow ales (local brewery) and a milestone little john

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back