bulldog hammer of thor lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt78

Reaction score
Silly question probably but im brewing this kit and have stirred it really well and am about to pitch the yeast... the instructions say add yeast sachet but dont say to stir it in, i have a big foam from stirring, should i stir the yeast through this or just leave?
sorry if this is a silly question and thanks

If you don't want to watch it all watch from 8:50.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuZH_OqwjXs[/ame]

If you haven't seen any Craig Tube videos before have a look at this -

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAJKWCdaPq4[/ame]

To stir or not to stir thats a good question, Tbh i stir not that i think it makes much difference

Thanks for the replies folks. Im waiting for it to cool a little then i might pitch and stir a little.:-?

Personally I don't think it make a blind bit of difference if you stir or not. Like a politician to £50 notes, the yeast will always find it's way to the sugars in the wort.

Personally I don't think it make a blind bit of difference if you stir or not. Like a politician to £50 notes, the yeast will always find it's way to the sugars in the wort.

You are probably right but i did like the bit in Craigs video where he said not stirring may help protect the beer as the yeast seems to start fermenting sooner than when you stir it in.

You are probably right but i did like the bit in Craigs video where he said not stirring may help protect the beer as the yeast seems to start fermenting sooner than when you stir it in.

Not to sure really, sounds plausable. However theres a lag phase before the yeast start to acctually ferment the beer when it takes up nutrients, which, according to my 'yeast book' can be anything from about 4hrs to 15rs. During this lag time I don't think the yeast are making a protective layer of C02. By the time the yeast are make C02 the foam on top of your wort from aeration will have subsided and the yeast will have made it into the main body of the wort and probably sunk to the bottom of the FV by now. So I don't think sprinkling on top to try to make this protective layer sooner matters anyway

Also even if the yeast are making C02 at the bottom of the FV rather than when it's floating on the foam at the top wouldn't it just rise through wort and create a protective blanket anyway? Overall I'm not really that sure.

For me this shall I stir or sprinkle is moot anyway because you should really rehydrate your yeast as not doing so kills u to 50% of it because putting yeast in 20C wort is too cold for it and ruptures the cells (again according to 'the yeast book'). These dead cells have the potential to cause off flavours in your beer

Not to sure really, sounds plausable. However theres a lag phase before the yeast start to acctually ferment the beer when it takes up nutrients, which, according to my 'yeast book' can be anything from about 4hrs to 15rs. During this lag time I don't think the yeast are making a protective layer of C02. By the time the yeast are make C02 the foam on top of your wort from aeration will have subsided and the yeast will have made it into the main body of the wort and probably sunk to the bottom of the FV by now. So I don't think sprinkling on top to try to make this protective layer sooner matters anyway

Also even if the yeast are making C02 at the bottom of the FV rather than when it's floating on the foam at the top wouldn't it just rise through wort and create a protective blanket anyway? Overall I'm not really that sure.

For me this shall I stir or sprinkle is moot anyway because you should really rehydrate your yeast as not doing so kills u to 50% of it because putting yeast in 20C wort is too cold for it and ruptures the cells (again according to 'the yeast book'). These dead cells have the potential to cause off flavours in your beer

Yes and rehydrating is super easy! Nottingham Ale yeast states that it should be rehydrated at 30-35 Celsius and if you are going to pitch directly or make a starter then it should be gradually reduced by steps of no more than five degrees until the yeast reaches roughly the same temperature as the wort.

Great post.

I am lazy and just throw the yeast in with some nutrient and give it a good thrashing with my degassing wand on my drill, i have never had one fail and they always taste great, i know Beer is a totally different beast and if i made it i would probably hydrate.

Latest posts

Back