Cherry Porter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopWroester

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a few kilos of fresh cherries and was thinking of adding them to a porter.

The porter is going to be my Christmas beer so wanting to get it on asap.

There are a few AG Chocolate cherry porter recipes about on the web, has anyone on here brewed/got one they can recommend?

Thanks!
Mark

Can anyone more experienced take a look at my plan....

Pale malt 4500gm
Caramalt 500gm
Chocolate malt 500gm
Crystal, dark 100gm
Coco powder 50gm

Centennial 30gm @60
Fuggle 10gm @20

Up to 2kg of cherries, looking at other examples people seem to put these in fermentation, thinking like dry hop but with cherries??

Roughly 1052 sg.

What do you think?
Mark

Can anyone more experienced take a look at my plan....

Pale malt 4500gm
Caramalt 500gm
Chocolate malt 500gm
Crystal, dark 100gm
Coco powder 50gm

Centennial 30gm @60
Fuggle 10gm @20

Up to 2kg of cherries, looking at other examples people seem to put these in fermentation, thinking like dry hop but with cherries??

Roughly 1052 sg.

What do you think?
Mark

https://byo.com/bock/item/319-brewing-with-fruit-techniques

Have you worked out the sugar content of the cherries and figured that into your SG mate? Have a look at the link - a recipe for raspberry porter which you could adapt?

Thanks for the link, will have a read.

I've not factored the fruit into the SG, guess i could use sugar values of shop bought ones as a rough guide to sugar content?
Part of the link has a table of sugar content for different fruits including cherries. If you're talking about tinned cherries I think they come in syrup? If that's the case, the sugar content will be a lot higher than your natural fruit.

Part of the link has a table of sugar content for different fruits including cherries. If you're talking about tinned cherries I think they come in syrup? If that's the case, the sugar content will be a lot higher than your natural fruit.

They are fresh cherries, currently frozen. I'll take a read through the link, thanks!

It depends on how acidic your cherries are, but just bear in mind that the acidity doesn't diminish all that much. Boiling can reduce it slightly (in the same way when you cook tomatoes for an Italian meal). Also, oxidisation may soften it too.

I've not brewed with fresh cherries myself, but I'd have a search and see if anyone else has, and how much they used.

Back