AG#4 Vanilla Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RZH

Reaction score
After much research, I've put this together.
Advice on all aspects of it will be much appreciated, I'm still learning about the multitude of malts and hops out there and what they do. EBC numbers are taken from The Malt Miller.

As far as the vanilla goes, on the brew-day itself I plan to take a couple of pods, soak them in some good quality bourbon for 3 weeks or so and then chuck the juice in the secondary a week before bottling.

Please critique away, I'm still very much a newbie and any help is much appreciated.

Porter_zpsnytk3s64.png

After much research, I've put this together.
Advice on all aspects of it will be much appreciated, I'm still learning about the multitude of malts and hops out there and what they do. EBC numbers are taken from The Malt Miller.

As far as the vanilla goes, on the brew-day itself I plan to take a couple of pods, soak them in some good quality bourbon for 3 weeks or so and then chuck the juice in the secondary a week before bottling.

Please critique away, I'm still very much a newbie and any help is much appreciated.

Porter_zpsnytk3s64.png

mmm looks tasty :D

Main issue for me is the IBUs are too low for a 1060 beer in my opinion. I'd be going for more like 40 IBUs. Maybe even 45.

Challenger and ekg are good choices. Just increase the Challenger so you get about 35-40 IBUs from them. I'm sure some people prefer less bitterness but 40 IBUs is not extreme and I think you need that much in a beer of that strength, personally, or a multigrain beer like this becomes a sort of malt soup. :-)

Challenger and ekg are good choices. Just increase the Challenger so you get about 35-40 IBUs from them. I'm sure some people prefer less bitterness but 40 IBUs is not extreme and I think you need that much in a beer of that strength, personally, or a multigrain beer like this becomes a sort of malt soup. :-)

Just had a rummage through my brew store and found a whole pack of 13 % AA Magnum that I don't even remember buying! :wha: Too much homebrew or general absent-mindedness is the likely cause...

From what I've read it gives very clean bittering qualities and can be used in porters so I think I'll go for that to cut down on the amount of hops in the boil. If I use 33g of these and keep the EKG as is, I get exactly 40IBUs according to BeerSmith.

I done a 23l brew with 2 vanilla pods added to the FV (insides scraped out and then pods chopped) and there was nowhere near enough vanilla flavour. If I were to do it again I'd either use more or use them in the boil...or both.

I done a 23l brew with 2 vanilla pods added to the FV (insides scraped out and then pods chopped) and there was nowhere near enough vanilla flavour. If I were to do it again I'd either use more or use them in the boil...or both.

Thanks Doc! I think I'll go for one at the boil and 2 in the FV.

Thanks for the help all. Hopefully I'll get this brewed in the next couple of weeks. Plan is to brew it, bottle it and not touch until Christmas!

Back