Baltic porter - oak ageing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezraburke

DIPA Brewer
Reaction score
Ok, next gambit is a Baltic porter with some bourbon soaked oak chips in the secondary. Recipe below, but my worry is lager yeast.... We've never used lager yeast and I'd appreciate some tips.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Big Bourbon

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Baltic Porter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 10 liters (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 13.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.057
Efficiency: 70% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.077
Final Gravity: 1.020
ABV (standard): 7.42%
IBU (tinseth): 46.82
SRM (morey): 39.24

FERMENTABLES:
2.5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (70%)
400 g - United Kingdom - Munich (11.2%)
200 g - United Kingdom - Brown (5.6%)
185 g - United Kingdom - Crystal 140L (5.2%)
100 g - United Kingdom - Chocolate (2.8%)
86.09 g - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L (2.4%)
100 g - German - Carafa II (2.8%)

HOPS:
12.5 g - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 44.66
5 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 2.16

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
20 g - Bourbon Chips, Time: 0 min, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary

Looks good. I was just researching the Fullers London Porter ingredients earlier. I've not tried oak chips, but I've heard they are easy to overdo.

Why do you want to use lager yeast? Do you have the necessary fridge for lagering?

MyQul nailed it - I don't have the fridge so wondering what the next steps might be.

A beer type I've never heard of. I'm excited! I'll have a read online about them. Let me know if there are any recommended examples for sale.

In the absence of facilities to lager, I'd guess you could try something neutral like everyone's favourite US-05, or maybe Koelsch yeast if you can ferment cool.

A beer type I've never heard of. I'm excited! I'll have a read online about them. Let me know if there are any recommended examples for sale.

In the absence of facilities to lager, I'd guess you could try something neutral like everyone's favourite US-05, or maybe Koelsch yeast if you can ferment cool.

You can make a pseudo lager with US-05 ( Dads_Ale [forum member] has succesfully done this a number of times he says) so I'm guessing it's not beyond reason to be able to make a pseudo baltic porter

I now read that Koelsch yeast might have problems with higher gravities - does anyone have any experience using it? (I've only worked with us-05 thus far)

Dropped him a line. I've added flaked oats to the mix to give mouthfeel to this recipe.

My worry is that the Kolsch yeast won't be able to handle the high ABV and carbonating the bottles will be treacherous. I read that people pitch other yeast (champagne in particular) along with priming sugar when they come to bottle - anyone any experience with this kind of secondary yeast exposure?

The OG is high but it's not that high. It's only 7% or so and the Wyeast kolsch yeast has a tolerance of 10% ABV. Putting your gravity figures into a yeast calc, and you'll need to make a starter but only 1-2L seeing as your only making 10L. So you'll need approx 138bl cells and the wyeast smak packs are 100bl cells. Tbh I dont think you've got much to worry about

Normally I just pitch dry so this'll be a new method too. Kolsch yeast it is then!

Back