Does this make sense?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderwoman

Regular.
Reaction score
Does this recipe for a Märzen make sense to you?

I adjusted it to what I have in the cupboard, to be honest. For example, I use the Hallertauer Blanc (aroma hops 9.3) as bittering, because I've got them and need to use them up really lol and I haven't got Perle, which seem to have a similar AA. Does that work?

Also, it would appear that I ordered the wrong Munich malt - mine never said if it was light or dark and has only got an EBC of 5-10. So I added some carawheat into the mix, for the colour mainly and some maltier taste. Obviously it is wheat not barley so not sure it makes sense?

As mashing I was thinking about following the original recipes programm at:

starting 60°
1. rest at 57° (10 mins)
2. rest at 63° (45 mins)
3. rest at 73° (20 mins)
then finishing at 78°C

I have no idea whether the efficiency etc is appropriate - I used a different recipe and adjusted it to a smaller batch and my ingredients. I am not sure how much I will loose due to evaporation etc and if that makes any sense.

I have Bohemian Lager yeast for this, although the original recipe uses nottingham ale yeast - and since my wheat beer was incredibly yeasty with one sachet for 12l batch, I do wonder whether I should just use half a sachet for this lager? Contrary to what you usually do with wheat beer, it actually taste better if you do NOT swirl the bottle to get all the yeast into the glass.

JuliasMaerzen.JPG

Last edited:
Did you use a fridge of some sort for fermenting the lager yeast? I didn't see how you did your wheat beer.

I have to make a review for the wheat beer. I haven't brewed this one yet but as I've got the afternoon off, I will give it a go now. I've still got a sachet of wheat beer yeast, too, so either might use that (would that be okay) or use lager yeast and ferment it in the garage. Should be okay now with a wet tower draped over it, shouldn't it? (it's freezing today!)

I am not sure how much yeast to use though, whether I could get away with using half a sachet since I'm only brewing about 12L.

I am not sure how much yeast to use though, whether I could get away with using half a sachet since I'm only brewing about 12L.

Check the specifications online, but yeast sachets are often for a whole 23L batch, so yes, half a sachet may suffice if this is the case.

The only way to check if your temperatures are cool and stable enough is to measure it at different times of the day. If you brew too warm then you will get off-flavours, so bear that in mind.

I've got the mangrove jacks bohemian lager yeast which actually suggests to use two sachets for 23l. So one for 10 must be okay. I was gonna get some Nottingham yeast but it was sold out. That would have been good temperature wise

Latest posts

Back