'Brewing Sugar' - advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafod

Reaction score
Hi all
Can you advise me whether conventional granulated sugar can be used as a substitute for 'Brewing Sugar' in a Elderberry wine making kit (Wilko). Many thanks.

I would say yes to this. Brewing sugar claims to offer a faster and cleaner fermentation but normal white sugar should work fine. I have used it in all my wines so far apart from my mead which used honey of course.

Some people claim that cane sugar is slightly superior to beet sugar but others claim this not to be the case with the beet sugar possibly adding a slight off taste according to those who claim a difference.

I have not yet sampled any wine I have produced (it's a slow process) but many people use normal white sugar for their wines.

As I understand it, brewing sugar is glucose or dextrose (both names are used interchangeably) where normal white sugar is sucrose.

Hope this helps.

That's a very detailed reply thanks, and I appreciate it. Will now get more granulated sugar tomorrow. Great to see you have an awesome array of 'brews' on the go. I will now go out and get more granulated sugar tomorrow. Looks like an awesome array of brews you have on the go - I can only boast 10 litres of homegrown plum wine at the moment!

That's a very detailed reply thanks, and I appreciate it. Will now get more granulated sugar tomorrow. Great to see you have an awesome array of 'brews' on the go. I will now go out and get more granulated sugar tomorrow. Looks like an awesome array of brews you have on the go - I can only boast 10 litres of homegrown plum wine at the moment!

Thanks :) I have plenty on the go but as I am new to all this, only started in late July, and only time will tell how successful I have been. It's all a learning curve and I am simply loving the process of brewing stuff and learning all the time.

I only joined because I wanted to make a simple mead and possibly a blackcurrant wine but I got the bug and can't stop brewing wine and now beers and I can't keep away from the forum. It's all so intoxicating (I hope). ;)

echo that....

I've used tate and lyle and brewing sugar and not noticed any difference, well apart from the price !

Actually I use the Whitworths granulated, £1.59 or something like that, for a 2kg bag

echo that....

I've used tate and lyle and brewing sugar and not noticed any difference, well apart from the price !

Actually I use the Whitworths granulated, �£1.59 or something like that, for a 2kg bag

Farmfoods offer sugar regularly for less than 50p per kilo it's always worth checking them out too. Poundworld also offer three kilos for 2 quid.

Morrison's 'just up the road' - so for me it's Morri's cheapest! Both of you are inspirational in terms of the potential of this hobby - wines and beers in their various stages. Suppose I'll just have to wait +3 months for my and the wife's first sip - never mind! I like the idea of brewing 1. Mead and Beetroot or Tea/raisin. Will be coming back to you for recipes - but need more demijohns!!

If used in high proportions, the flavour of the alcohol produced by granulated sugar will spoil a delicate wine and if you like sweet wine, brewing sugar tastes better.

Thanks for your interesting input on my thread Tony. Since I and my wife wife prefer 'medium' wines I suppose in my case the use of granulated sugar will not compromise the flavour of the plum wine.

Back