Beetroot Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asherweef

Reaction score
I picked up a really cheap booklet from a National Trust property but it doesn't give reams of information. I'm quite keen to try a brew from inside for beetroot beer but it doesn't give any idea on end volume.

Ingredients:
1lb Beetroot
1 Pint Stout
8oz unrefined dark muscovado sugar

Recipe:
Scrub the beets, cut into slices and put into a bowl. Sprinkle over the sugar and set aside for 24 hours. When ready strain off the liquid and add it to the sou, put into bottles and seal with plastic caps. Leave 7 - 14 days before drinking.

Have any members tried this (or similar) and if so how many bottles can I expect from this? I would imagine not much but I have no idea how much liquid 1lb of beets will give when sugared...

If that's all the instructions they are hopeless. It's also a weird idea I think, cos you can't make a pint of beer into much more than a pint of beer by putting sugar on some beetroot and adding the juice obtained. This is either someone who knows zilch about making beer trying to get beetroot into a beer, or something else altogether. I can't believe the National Trust has put something so ridiculous into print!

To answer the question, you get about 1.05 of a pint, going off those instructions. The beer plus a bit of beetroot juice. And the sugar would need to ferment, so the beer would need to contain yeast, ie real ale from cask or bottle conditioned. Otherwise, all that sugar will make the beer sweet and syrupy.

There are simple ways to make a beer containing beetroot though. And stout is the logical style for it I think.

I think this video may shed some light!

[ame]https://vimeo.com/62997221[/ame]

Ha. Yes the recipe is pretty poor - do I understand that this is drank like a port? May try it for the sake of experiment...! Thanks clibit

Looks that way. It's someone's idea of a tonic. The health benefits of Guinness and beetroot. But loads of sugar!

I picked up a really cheap booklet from a National Trust property but it doesn't give reams of information. I'm quite keen to try a brew from inside for beetroot beer but it doesn't give any idea on end volume.

Ingredients:
1lb Beetroot
1 Pint Stout
8oz unrefined dark muscovado sugar

Recipe:
Scrub the beets, cut into slices and put into a bowl. Sprinkle over the sugar and set aside for 24 hours. When ready strain off the liquid and add it to the sou, put into bottles and seal with plastic caps. Leave 7 - 14 days before drinking.

Have any members tried this (or similar) and if so how many bottles can I expect from this? I would imagine not much but I have no idea how much liquid 1lb of beets will give when sugared...
Hello, I am new to this list, I joined as I found my mothers recipe for her beetroot wine! I have been looking for a few years for it. My mum made this regularly, one time painting the kitchen walls pink when her stone bottle exploded. The pregnant women in the family were encourage to have a drop each day, as my mother did; her recipe came from her mother or mother in law...my mum was born in 1902. The last batch I made was 40 years ago. Working and two young children to look after along with mum, I stopped making it and lost the recipe. I came from Bootle, Lancashire as did a friend of mine who now lives in Spain...she will be delighted as I am to have found this. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back