Youngs American Oaked Rum Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lengie10

Reaction score
Just bought one of these kits on ebay - £22 - (Also bought the Youngs American Amber Ale). Wondered if anyone has had a bash at this one yet and if so - any tips. I looked on a few of the Young's ones and spotted a few folks saying only add half the hops rather than the full bag and also to get the yeast going first before adding?.

Any advice gratefully received.

I've not done that kit though it is defo on my to do list.

I've done the American IPA from the same range, and actually just started another on one Sunday it is that good.

The AIPA comes with 100g of hops for dry hopping and they give it a fair old punch, if this isn't your thing you could just add half and keep the rest for another brew. I added the lot first time round and will be doing so again with this batch.

The kit comes with 20g of yeast which is a lot more than most kits. I just dry pitch and both times it has started going within about half an hour of pitching and two days later is still bubbling away like mad.

Please post your thoughts on the beer once it is ready, interested to hear how it turns out.

thanks. I am probably going to go on the same lines with the wood chippings (yes I did say right) as you mentioned with the hops. I have read a couple of reviews on the other American ales from youngs and the general theme is the hops give it a big kick and half to 3/4 is about the range.

also bought the American Amber Alex so will keep you posted.

Have done the American ORA kit 3 or 4 times now and is 1 of the more popular beers amongst those who drink my stuff. I think it's lovely! Have found that it takes a long time to ferment so be patient. I do it exactly as per the instructions - no hops to add just the oak chips for the oaky taste. Just about to bottle my 1st go at the Mocha Porter kit too.

Thanks Dasher. Did you add all the wood chips or did you hold back some? read a few reports on another site that said it was too overpowering and worst beer ever made? Also read that a few people like to brew light (23l instead of 25l??)

Made several of these kits, got the Mocha on the go at mo.
Not sure why people buy highly hopped kits then only add half because the hops are too strong

Made several of these kits, got the Mocha on the go at mo.
Not sure why people buy highly hopped kits then only add half because the hops are too strong

Know what you mean Racinsnake. I had read that some folk only put half the hops in the AIPA but I wasn't having any of that, the lot got chucked in and I will be doing the same again this time.

to be honest - nor do I? I only asked on the basis that others have said its too strong. as a True ale drinker I will probably throw it all in this time then reduce next time to taste if required. Was curious about what others have found as the forum post was over 18mths ago and recipes may have been tweaked.

Haven't tried the oak rum yet but have enjoyed the 2 ipas, amber and mocha porter that I have done from this range.

I have done all per instructions.
I felt my first batch of ipa, which was brewed a bit hot, was better but it was barrelled rather than bottled.
The amber was really nice after 6-8 weeks but was mostly gone by that stage. If doing it again I would plan a full 8 weeks conditioning.
I'm really enjoying the mocha porter, have reviewed it in the kit review section. Our fridge is set to 4 degrees and at this temperature I find the flavours muted compared to ones at shed temperature.

I'm planning to do a 3rd ipa and another mocha porter and have them as regular house brews while trying other kits.

Thanks Dasher. Did you add all the wood chips or did you hold back some? read a few reports on another site that said it was too overpowering and worst beer ever made? Also read that a few people like to brew light (23l instead of 25l??)

I certainly add all of the chips when I do this one.

I'm with Racinsnake on this ... why get a kit which is highly hoppy or has another characteristic and not use all of the ingredients. At least try it as per and then adjust to your own taste if you choose that kit for a subsequent brew. With the IPA, I love the amount of hops although that can mellow out in time. It's a bit of a rush to drink them all while they're still so hoppy! :drink:

Each to their own though ... this is not meant to be prescriptive!

I asked a similar question yesterday about the Youngs Amber Ale I've got fermenting because I was concerned people were saying add only half the hops.
I'm going to add the lot on the assumption Youngs haven't just thrown that quantity of hops in for no reason. And it's my first brew for 25 years so I won't play about with it but taste it as intended, I can then decide for myself if future brews need adjusting.

Can't fault you Doug :thumb:
A great kit and should give you a base idea of what can be achieved.

Wfr have you tried New world saison???
Acquired taste but I loved

Rob.

I haven't, maybe one for the summer - mu brewery is in my shed but I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers....

Just thought I would add an update...

managed to get the oaked rum and American amber on this weekend. followed instructions to the letter and also tried to keep the FV's covered as much as possible.

Currently got 2 very loud and bubbly FV's - both smelling wonderful.

I added all the oaked chips (more like sawdust) at the beginning as told to. looked initially like compost but smell on a different level (GOOD!!)

Starting readings were 1060 for the oaked rum and 1051 for the amber. if all goes well the oaked rum should be about 6.5-7% and the amber around 5.7 - 6%.

Christmas is suddenly looking very nice indeed! :-D

I did a batch of this ORA back in July and agree it was the best smelling beer I've brewed. Tried it at three weeks after bottling and it tasted rough. I was a bit worried but stayed patient and when I tried another bottle a few weeks ago and it was lush. Much smoother, bit sweet, but full of flavour and fantastic aroma. I'm really liking the Young kits as I did the APA previously and it was gorgeously hoppy. Rule with these is to leave 'em for a good few months before consuming. I'm looking forward to enjoying and sharing the rest of my batch over Xmas. Thinking about trying the AIPA next.

I made this a few months back, i find it quite an odd taste. I don't particularly enjoy it, but i don't dislike it either and I'd struggle to tell you what it tastes like.

Latest posts

Back