Lager help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyn1

Reaction score
Just want to check if I have an issue with some lager I should be about to bottle. The kit is "Make your own Lager" from The Range.

Have just done the taste test prior to bottling, and it does not taste sweet. However it is quite messy as in this photo (hopefully it comes out in the pic). I added the contents of the hop sachet three days ago, without stirring, and it seems like they have not dissolved properly.

My intention is to siphon off into another fermenter, add some beer and wine finings, and get it ready to bottle when it clears.

Just wanted some thoughts! This is my first lager kit brew!

image.jpg

Mattyn1
Hop pellets don't dissolve, they just disperse in your brew to give up flavour and aroma. You might be best leaving it for a little longer to allow the hop particles to settle some more, since it looks like there is still a lot suspended. In any case three days for dry hopping is a bit short, four to seven days is usually the norm. Your main concern is going to be stopping suspended hop particles carry over into your bottles, or clogging up your siphon. Although racking off may help the hop suspension problem, others may be able to advise you on this. I use a muslin bag to contain the hops during dry hopping so I don't get this problem.
Unless you have done so already, you should check your brew SG before you bottle, to find out if the primary fermentation has finished. The same readings on at least two consecutive days is what you are looking for. Having said that it looks to be clearing so it's probably finished.
There is usually no need to add finings to beer since the yeast will eventually settle out on its own in your bottles, and you want a little carry over into the bottles to ensure that the priming sugar is consumed to provide carbonation. In my view, in your case finings are probably not going to flocculate the hop particles so that they all settle out, so that's another reason not to add finings.

You shouldn't need finings. How long has it been going? My usual rule-of-thumb is 14 days in the primary FV in the warm, then rack off to a secondary FV and put that in the cool for 4-5 days which will cause everything to drop out, so you can bottle clear.

About a fortnight now, added the hops Tuesday last week.

I have gone by the instructions but there was no indication about what the hops do on the chit!

It's a big learning experience, but very enjoyable!!!!

Latest posts

Back