Lager/Pils Kit Recommendation Please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bevvied

Life Support System For A Beer Belly
Reaction score
Evening..
Already thinking ahead to hopefully a bit of sun in the Spring/Summer, I'm looking to a get a kit Lager or Pils on the go soon, so it has months in the bottle to condition. To be brutally honest, I wouldn't know a good commercial Lager or Pils if it kicked me in the backside. Given that, has anyone a tip for a very good kit that seems to get better with time?
I don't have a brewing fridge, but the conservatory seems to sit at 15C this time of year, is that low enough to use a true Lager yeast?
Thanks Chaps.

Can't really recommend a kit a I don't like lager. But regarding the temps you really need it to be about 12C for a true lager strain however (I think) its @Dads_Ale that says he make a very fine pseudo lager at 15C using US-05

Coopers European lager seems to get good reviews. And the Better Brew Czech Pilsner.

Mmmm, thanks guys, still a bit undecided, no rush though!

I think I'll do that Joe, thanks.
I don't use brewing sugar at all any more, just dried Spray Malt or LME. Seeing as how this is a 'Lager' though, I'll use the brew enhancer so it's not too full regarding body.
You don't have any experience of dry hopping do you? Do you think the kit could do with it? I was thinking Hellertau or Saaz maybe.

The Muntons Continental Larger kits are really nice i have brewed loads of them
even brewed with brewing sugar there good, id go with spraymalt though and as you say dry hop with Sazz, last one i did i used 50g of sazz it was lovely:grin:

Oh gawd, just as I'd decided, up pops another suggestion.
I know what I'm like, I'll end up doing the lot.

I'm fully stocked now, so may as well when all FVs become free, do the pils, the coopers euro and the muntons continental side by side.
If I use a can of Malt Extract for all of them, they'll all be done on the same playing field, they'll have the same conditioning time, will have lots of time to mature and I'll be able to pick my favourite for the future.
Sorted.
I'm finding it hard to justify 120 Pints of lager to myself, never mind Zelda, so I'll do it in Stealth Mode in the Cellar.

That'll be a stealth brewing experiment of interest to a lot of people I reckon. :thumb:

I've never dry hopped the Coppers Euro lager but I do usually boil up some Saaz tea and add that for a tiny bit of extra bitterness. I'd say it doesn't NEED dry hopping but it certainly wouldn't harm it I wouldn't think.

A really light liquid malt extract might be perfect with this kit also if you prefer that to BE.

Lots of options, the beauty of homebrewing eh!!

Latest posts

Back