How much beer have you got?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got just shy of 80L fermenting / conditioning, so 160 bottles.

Thought I had got carried away during a week off last week, but looks like there's people with much more....

20151116_213224.jpg

Too far to the West wing from the snug, because I have to go through the library and the drawing room, by which time I normally have to go out onto the veranda and water the rosebushes. East wing far easier, as I use the back stairs down to the scullery....

Too far to the West wing from the snug, because I have to go through the library and the drawing room, by which time I normally have to go out onto the veranda and water the rosebushes. East wing far easier, as I use the back stairs down to the scullery....

Liar bet you just Pi## out of the window :rofl:

That would be awesome.

Which gives me an idea. What about forum meet up somewhere?

Somewhere middle of the country, like London perhaps....:whistle:

Or in my cellar.
The p1ss-up parlour.
Nobody comes out alive (Ok, I mean sober)
60s/70s music, darts, sky sports and a hotline to the curry house.
It's just like a pub, except a) you can swear and call the barman (me) a **** b) you can smoke if you want c) it costs nowt and d) any mention of religion or politics is an immediate fine of being force fed a manky triple.
And, one of the sofas is a sofabed for any lightweight.
Sorted!

Thought I had got carried away during a week off last week, but looks like there's people with much more....

That was why I started the thread; I wanted to benchmark my plan for 200 drinkable bottles on rotation against what others consider "reasonable"

Ok, forum 'pub crawl':

Start in London with a few of mine and myquls, up to Steve's in madchester, on to Scotland at pms place, finish up in bevvied's cellar for fags, darts and rock n roll, crash on the sofa bed.

Baggy not sleeping next to Steve, I suspect there might be snoring

I have...

Corny 1: Jasmine IPA ~ 13 litres
Corny 2: Brewers Gold ~ 5 litres
Corny 3: Not a Steam Beer ~ 5 litres

Various bottles including 35x Russian Imperial Stout, ~10 various brews swapped with other homebrewers and ~10 leftovers from other batches

3x FV's fermenting 30 bottle wine kits
1x FV empty... hmm... need to do something about that!

DA

Hello Clibit!

I sampled one of the Riwakas at the weekend after 13 days in the bottle in the warm to test carbonation. At this stage it's pretty young and needs a couple more weeks at least before it'll be ready to drink; it's come out at 4.5-5% after bottling, and is the most promising pale ale I've made so far. I've done the Evil Dog and Young's AIPA and to be honest I've been disappointed with both given some of the reviews on here - both have been bitter to the point of harshness, and the dry hopping hasn't produced the fruity flavours I was expecting. This is already a lot mellower and is shaping up to be much more drinkable. I'll let you know in more detail when it's had to time to sit in the cool.

While I've got your ear, am I doing something wrong with my dry hopping or am I just expecting too much? I'm looking for the Punk IPA / Sierra Nevada / Lagunitas IPA fruity flavours but I'm just not getting them from the kits I've tried. I've put the hop pellets straight into the wort 3-5 days before bottling, and in other cases I've put them in teabags and sunk them with marbles (though when I do this they always rise again as the CO2 collects in the teabags) but I really don't seem to get the flavours or aroma I'm after...

Apologies Linal, I lost track of this thread.

A pack of Riwaka hops arrived today courtesy of SteveJ, who ordered them from NZ. It's a hop I love but have never brewed with before.

If I was brewing the Riwaka Pale Ale kit, I would not add any different hops, as the Riwaka hop is too sacred! I would add DME, I prefer it to LME, but I would have added 1kg or more, rather than 500g.

1.2kg DME - 1.5kg LME.

I have made beers with kits that have had the fruity hop thing you are after, in the past. I think dry hopping alone will struggle to do this, you want to boil some hops. I could describe a variety of hop boiling schedules but you can keep it very simple. Put 2-3 litres of water in a pan and heat, mix in 500g DME thoroughly as it warms up, and chuck hops in before it starts to boil. Once boiling, let it boil for 5-10 minutes (5 for high AA% hops, 10 for low AA%), switch off and add some more hops to steep while it cools in a sink of cold water. Strain and add the hopped wort to the FV.

You can do this when you make the kit up, and include it in the 23 litres, or make it up and add it after the fermentation has subsided, but leave 2-3 litres out of the FV when you make up the kit - make the kit up to 20 litres, for example, so that the hop addition makes the beer up to about 23 litres.

Example:

Batch Size (L): 23.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.047
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.62 %
Bitterness (IBU): 40 (20 ish IBUs from kit, 20ish IBUs from hop boil)

Cooper's Aussie Pale Ale Kit
1.500 kg Dry Malt Extract - Amber (46.88%)

50.0 g Mosaic Pellet (12% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
50.0 g Mosaic Pellet (12% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes ( steep for 30 mins while hop liquid cools)

Ok, forum 'pub crawl':

Start in London with a few of mine and myquls, up to Steve's in madchester, on to Scotland at pms place, finish up in bevvied's cellar for fags, darts and rock n roll, crash on the sofa bed.

Baggy not sleeping next to Steve, I suspect there might be snoring

I will remind security not to allow anyone called Gareth to enter my village :lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back