My saison.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoddy

General lurker.......
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've just bottled my own saison recipe and I thought I would share it to see what people think. It should be ready in about 3 weeks so I'll post a review when I spark the first one open and then it goes to the public for tasting(that's another story for a other day)

Traditional saison strength 4.2% ABV with IBU 32 on a 19 litre (at secondary) volume.

2.2kg Pilsner
1kg Vienna
0.5kg flaked wheat
0.17k caramunich

10g chinook - 60 mins
10g styrian goldings - 60 mins

15g EKG - 30 mins

20g Centennial - flameout

Single infusion 64 deg for 75 mins with 10 min mash out at 75 deg c (braumeister)

15g centennial + 15g simcoe - dry hop for the last 5 days

Wyeast #3711 - fermented for 3 weeks started at 20 deg rising to 28 deg C.

Never known a yeast to be so dam hungry, it just kept going and going and going.......

Started at 1.044 and ended @ 1.000 so a bit stronger than planned.

Any feedback great fully received. [emoji106]🏻

Sounds good. Quite a lot of wheat there, be interesting to see your thoughts on that, and I think it will be a lot more hoppy than a traditional brew. I wonder if that might knock off the taste from the yeast a bit?

I know what you mean about the wheat. I'm trying to see if the extra body from the wheat will give the head retention and body while slightly counteracting the dryness from the high attenuation and mash schedule. Bearing in mind it's only 12% of the malt bill. I'm also testing to see, exactly as you say, if the dry hopping will knock back the phenolics from the 3711 yeast.

Gonna crack a bottle In a week so we will see [emoji4]

Well who knew but it's turned out to be a total triumph. Even after a week and a bit in the bottle it was so good. Nice and crisp but kept its body with a good head. It retained that unmistakable saison noise and taste but with that slight up front hops gently blending out to that awesome spicy end that #3711 gives.

It was so good a friend who had a few bottles demanded that he purchased the whole batch for his Xmas party. All 29 bottles were subsequently drank in one night, and I've just finished brewing another batch for him in a hope to have them for Xmas.

Needless to say I've kept a few bottles back for me. I'll post a pic soon [emoji106]🏻

Latest posts

Back