'Recycled' Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphysmum

Reaction score
Not being one to spend out of new bottles unless I absolutely have to, I asked everyone to save any empties from Christmas, so I could re-use them.

Having spent a couple of hours soaking them, then peeling away the old labels I've found that there is a horrible gluey residue left behind. I've attacked it with a kitchen sponge/scourer thingie and yes, its all come off but it was so time consuming.

Does anyone have any secret tips or tricks to speed this up?

Thanks in advance.

Not really as you soon know what ones to avoid and what ones come off easily.:)

WD40 works well on the stubborn ones.

It is a bit of a lottery regarding the useable ones.

Happy Scrubbing :grin:

iirc 50/50 olive oil and bicarb left on for at least 20 mins then use a wire wool scouring pad works.

I usually leave my bottles soaking in (hot) water and washing up liquid for 3 days though and most bottles the lable either peels off or using a scraper it comes of easily, both glue residue free. There are a few bottles (like kernal brewery) that it doesn't work that well on

Well, I'm not sure that I really want to recommend it, but....
White spirit brings off most label adhesives I've encountered that aren't water-soluble in seconds (e.g. Williams Joker IPA etc)
BUT it stinks. If you try it, definitely go for the low-odour type - but be aware that it certainly isn't no-odour!!
For heaven's sake don't try it in the kitchen, or you'll be risking a life ban! It's a garage or shed job only :lol:
I'd suggest thick rubber gloves and a stainless-steel pan scourer.
And make sure none gets into the bottle!
As I said, it works brilliantly, but......
The easiest by far is to use bottles with water soluble labels that come off quickly after soaking in water (e.g. Morland/Greene King). The "thin plastic film" ones that I've tried don't seem too bad either: if you can peel the whole label off, it doesn't seem to leave much residue behind.

I've been doing just this very thing today too. I've used this label remover spray on the left over residue. It smells of oranges, but leaves a slight oily residue meaning the need washed again. I just bunged them in the dishwasher.

soak in water for a few days and some will float off, others peel easily and the worst ones can be scraped, for any glue residue, scrape the worst with a sharp knife then a few drops of washing up liquid and a steel scourer.

if you are corking them for wine check the opening size with a cork, some are too small

I've been doing just this very thing today too. I've used this label remover spray on the left over residue. It smells of oranges, but leaves a slight oily residue meaning the need washed again. I just bunged them in the dishwasher.

Probably something like the citrus degreaser I use on my bike chain

I've done the same and kept everyone's Christmas bottles. The German hefe ones seem to come off really easily after a soak, but some others were a right pain. I use IPA to take off the sticky residue, always have a bottle for cleaning disc brakes.

Isopropyl Alcohol... Not wasting good beer!

Thanks all - I'm all for a lifetime ban from the kitchen but not sure I'd get away with that no matter what I tried! Apparently he can't live without cake!

Great idea's there, that I shall be testing out with the next batch of pre-loved bottles!

Thanks all - I'm all for a lifetime ban from the kitchen but not sure I'd get away with that no matter what I tried! Apparently he can't live without cake!

Cake? What is this dubious substance? Surely you mean beer?? Much more essential to life.... :)
Mind you, since we both share the pleasures of the kitchen, both culinary and as part-time brewery, I'm afraid that I would draw the line at either Madge or I splashing white spirit around in there. :twisted:

Well, I'm not sure that I really want to recommend it, but....
White spirit brings off most label adhesives I've encountered that aren't water-soluble in seconds (e.g. Williams Joker IPA etc)
BUT it stinks. If you try it, definitely go for the low-odour type - but be aware that it certainly isn't no-odour!!
For heaven's sake don't try it in the kitchen, or you'll be risking a life ban! It's a garage or shed job only :lol:
I'd suggest thick rubber gloves and a stainless-steel pan scourer.
And make sure none gets into the bottle!
As I said, it works brilliantly, but......
The easiest by far is to use bottles with water soluble labels that come off quickly after soaking in water (e.g. Morland/Greene King). The "thin plastic film" ones that I've tried don't seem too bad either: if you can peel the whole label off, it doesn't seem to leave much residue behind.

Clean spirit is similar to white spirit in properties but is water soluble and doesn't stink. I've used it to clean my bike chain before.

Clean spirit is similar to white spirit in properties but is water soluble and doesn't stink.
New one one me. Is "Clean Spirit" a brand name? Where do you buy it?
This sounds very interesting - not just as a potential glue-remover, but also I'm trying my hand at oil painting at the moment & a more "friendly" solvent than genuine turpentine or white spirit would be most welcome!!

You can buy it it B&Q next to the white spirit it in the painting and decorating isle. It's designed to clean brushes so should work for oil painting brushes too

isopropyl alcohol and a wire wool scrubber is your friend..(smoking not so much)

tbh the stubborn labels i dont even try now

isopropyl alcohol and a wire wool scrubber is your friend..
Isopropanol better than methanol for this purpose? I've no idea, but it sounds as you might have:)
Would either be better than white spirit - or this "clean spirit" which sounds very interesting?

Last edited:
I use oxi clean powder from stores like BM poundland it is brilliant I put old bottles with label's still on in my grandson plastic paddling pool and I fill it up with about 30 bottles and I put about 4 scoops of the oxi clean powder in the water and I make sure all the bottle's are submerged in the water and leave for about 2 days it really great

Latest posts

Back