Brewdog - DIYDog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The recipe book actually answered something I'd wondered about very low alchohol beers.... that they are basically flavoured water :lol:

So, the HBF has a Tayside contingent!

well it certainly looks like it does sure the next meeting is march 17th would be good to meet other brewers from the area,i am not a seasoned brewer by any means only been to 2 meetings, a few kits and half a dozen AGs but its all about helping each other out swapping recipes and the best bit "the tasting" cheers lagerlad

You're more experienced than me, I've only done a few kits but I'm hopefully getting some second hand AG equipment at the weekend (fingers crossed it's suitable!) so I'll do my first AG in a couple of weeks time.

Fair play to them. I don't like their style usually, publicity stunts wind me up. But this, wow. Nice looking book too, I'd buy it. Quick question about their hop additions. Do they specify what they mean by "middle"? 15 mins? I guess as they don't specify aa values you would have to plug in the recipe into beersmith or similar and work out based on quoted IBUs

Some quite odd mash methods in some of the recipes, short mash times, high mash temps when you expect low and vice versa, several at 62* etc etc interesting.....:ugeek::hmm:

Fair play to them. I don't like their style usually, publicity stunts wind me up. But this, wow. Nice looking book too, I'd buy it. Quick question about their hop additions. Do they specify what they mean by "middle"? 15 mins? I guess as they don't specify aa values you would have to plug in the recipe into beersmith or similar and work out based on quoted IBUs

I am taking END to mean late steeped hops and MIDDLE to be anywhere from 15 - 20 minutes before END. They are taking questions on the blog which will probably be an enormous amount!

Yeah middle leaves quite a bit of room for guess work doesn't it! Could be 30mins to 10mins I would think, looks like putting into software and moving timings until it fits would be the only way to work it out

I think not putting specific times on the recipes encourages people to play about... and that seems to be the whole point of the book, taking any publicity cynicism out of the equation.

I think its great. I'm not too fussed on creating exact clones of anything, but its good to know how to get something in the general area.

Just having a quick look through.

Massive hop additions, strange they don't have a 'brewery' yeast. And they say they dry hop for 5 days and best temperature is 14c for dry hopping.

I am going to knock my current brew down to 14c

The process of freeze distillation exploits the difference in freezing points of water and ethanol. Wikipedia has a good article that explains the process. The short explanation is that the frozen portion of the liquid has a lower concentration of alcohol than the liquid portion. By removing the ice, you can thereby increase the concentration of alcohol in cider. You can repeat the process using progressively lower temperatures to produce a higher alcohol beverage.

Note that the wikipedia article warns that freeze distillation can increase methanol levels to a dangerous degree. Methanol is a nerve toxin that can permanently damage the optic nerve.

I think not putting specific times on the recipes encourages people to play about... and that seems to be the whole point of the book, taking any publicity cynicism out of the equation.

I think its great. I'm not too fussed on creating exact clones of anything, but its good to know how to get something in the general area.
Yeah fair point.

I banged a recipe into some software. Without knowing aa values of hops they use, impossible to know for sure.

But for a recipe they quoted at 60 ibu, for the middle hop addition :

10 mins - 63 ibu
15 mins - 67 ibu
20 mins - 72 ibu

So in the right parish.

Personally I'd go 15 probably and adjust accordingly.

... ditto.

So, the HBF has a Tayside contingent!

I also live in Dundee. A few friends of mine who are doing PhD's at Dundee uni and myself have a brew club as well. Shared equipment and drunken brew nights etc. Infact we are brewing a Russian Imperial Stout tomorrow and a Belgian Patersbeir next week!

I also live in Dundee. A few friends of mine who are doing PhD's at Dundee uni and myself have a brew club as well. Shared equipment and drunken brew nights etc. Infact we are brewing a Russian Imperial Stout tomorrow and a Belgian Patersbeir next week!

Good stuff! I may start a group for us Dundonian folk on Facebook - would be interesting to share bottles amongst us.

If anyone is interested drop me a PM.

Latest posts

Back