Not sure i can be bothered to move on from kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS

Owning a Braumeister Brewing Kit like this would be nice ...

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/speidel-braumeister-50l-starter.html

... but it would also mean that someone had died and left me loads of money; so it would be a bitter/sweet experience! :whistle: :whistle:

If you look at the Signature below you will see that right now I am:

o Drinking a Wilco Hoppy Copper Bitter extract kit,

o Conditioning three extract kits and an AG kit,

o Fermenting a gluten free kit for a mate and messing with an experimental Bourru.

I just like brewing beer and wine in all its forms!

If you are happy with brewing kits and it does what you want too and the thought of moving on doesn't interest you that is fine.. you shouldn't apologise for it..
People brew for different reasons.
Knocking together a decent beer kit in sub 30 mins which will give you a supply of decent beer much cheaper than the shops is a big draw to a lot of people..

Spot ond the reason the

Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. (2 Viewing)
Post your beer kit brewing related questions here!

forum was added fairly recently. :thumb:

A lot of people will never move on from kits, but they'll never find out what we AG folk know...

One of the things that sold it for me was the freedom/ability it allows you to tinker with recipes......you can now hone your craft anyway you like it

Nobody HAS to move on from kits. If you're happy with what you're drinking, there really is no point. There aint nothing wrong with knocking a kit up in 30 minutes and drinking it 8 weeks later. Its cheap beer, tastes good and is very simple to do.

The main reason people move on, I suspect is curiosity "If these kits are this good, then doing it from grain must be shamazeballs! Errr, no. Not always. I suspect many people have brewed an AG batch, messed with it too much and ended up with something that they really wondered by the hell they spent 5 hours making this POS.

If yer happy with kits, stay with kits. I'm moving to AG because I want to experience the process. No other reason. Beer is a drink to me, I like the flavour, I like the process. My beer is a bus. Simple easy and does what its supposed to. My beer is not a 1966 Morris Minor that I have to constantly mess with to get to do what I want. If you like messing and building things and swearing and putting lots of research and time into choosing the correct recipe go for it.

The other sad fact is, many many AG brewers will simply follow a recipe from the internet/books/mate on a forum and never truly experiment anyways, so why bother? If you're gonna do it, go off piste, the skiing can kill ya, but you'll have a damned sight more fun...

ElChem

The other sad fact is, many many AG brewers will simply follow a recipe from the internet/books/mate on a forum and never truly experiment anyways, so why bother? If you're gonna do it, go off piste, the skiing can kill ya, but you'll have a damned sight more fun...

ElChem

I resemble that remark! After 20 AG brews, I don't personally see any reason to stray from recipes. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. :whistle:

Go kit, go extract, go AG, go recipe, go freestyle. Go your own way and don't worry about what other people do. :)

I resemble that remark! After 20 AG brews, I don't personally see any reason to stray from recipes. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. :whistle:

Go kit, go extract, go AG, go recipe, go freestyle. Go your own way and don't worry about what other people do. :)
Exactly. Do what you want with your brewing. Don't let anyone push you in one direction or another, choose your own path. Kit, extract, partial mash, BIAB, AG, Freestyle AG. It all makes beer and it all gets you ******. Everything else is smoke-filled coffeehouse ****.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have only done two kits and I plan on doing an extract brew soon.

My local home brew shop do a 18 pint extract kit which includes DME, yeast, 2 grains,steriliser.carbonation drops, all for £14
I bought a 15l fermentaion bucket £7 and a 8L pot off ebay £7

I will eventually do my own recipe but for now it is good that the shop does a complete kit for me

The link wfr42 posted is what I got. �£96 is a bargain, plus another �£9 for the hop strainer to go with it.
Upside: better beer, a bit cheaper per pint, more scope for being creative, you can make any beer you want.
Downside: more equipment to clean and takes longer (~5h for me)

Going AG was the right choice for me, because I see brewing as a hobby and I enjoy designing recipes, smelling and tasting the ingredients, tinkering with the process, and so on. I get satisfaction from grain brewing. If all you want is to get good drinkable beer at a reasonable price, then by all means stay with kits.

like the way you ended the paragraph with its an 'up to you'. gives you less hassle from haters

I reckon Ive done more kits over a 30 year period than most folk and agree with the above sentiments. The kits available now are a world away from the stuff Boots put out in the '70's, and I can say I've only really been disappointed with one kit Ive made. However, it all depends on the individual...their needs and expectations spring to mind and perhaps how much room is available and whether your wife is happy with a steamy kitchen, or maybe your family commitments make AG a difficult proposition. I know my wife will be away this week so it will be a 10 litre Chinook SMASH for me, then I can put everything away and she will be none the wiser!!

I've been doing kits a couple of years now and like the thought of moving on to extract brewing and AG brewing. Therre are 2 problems.

The first being I would need to buy the kit. I've asked on her ea couple of times what the minimum you need is but not really had a proper answer. How big a pot or boiler would I need to move to extract brewing? How much will I have to spend?

The second is doing a kit is fairly quick and simple with the worst part being all the cleaning and steralising (there is a thread on worst part of brewing where most people said this that I saw). If I go on to extract brewing I understand it will take about an hour longer. Is that right? Although the idea of producing your own beer I'm not sure I can be arsed with that and the wife complaining of the smell....or I will be forced into the garage with a camping gas stove.

And how long does it take for AG brewing? All day?

So come on guys, try to persuade me its worth it! I do like the idea of creating my own beers.

think this deserves a few more 'likes' for almost achieving four pages regardless of a difference of opinion

I'm trying extract as apparently I can get away with a 7l stock pot

I await an onslaught

good post 'Ale' .

Having read the thread I think its great that people are so passionate about the beer they make.
I'm an AG (biab) brewer, but for me - I couldn't give a monkey's if it's kit, extract or AG, if it tastes good.
I've been really impressed with the few kits beers I've tried, so brew on, however you do it.
:cheers:

Dan the man hit the nail on the head.

"Brew on, However you do it!"

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

think this deserves a few more 'likes' for almost achieving four pages regardless of a difference of opinion

I'm trying extract as apparently I can get away with a 7l stock pot

I await an onslaught

good post 'Ale' .

Thanks for this. You've added one thing I wanted to know - a 7l stockpot. What size brew can you do with that?

If I go extract or AG it will probably be set up in the garage, although I dont have as much room since I set my gym up in there. An electric boiler would be a lot easier but I would want to do a couple of brews before I spend anything else. I have a 5l stock pot and a couple of large saucepans so might try the 4.5l brew in the post a few people have linked to.

Thanks for this. You've added one thing I wanted to know - a 7l stockpot. What size brew can you do with that?

If I go extract or AG it will probably be set up in the garage, although I dont have as much room since I set my gym up in there. An electric boiler would be a lot easier but I would want to do a couple of brews before I spend anything else. I have a 5l stock pot and a couple of large saucepans so might try the 4.5l brew in the post a few people have linked to.

It is actually very easy to make really good beer on a cooker. The larger the pot, the easier it is. If you aim for a half kit, half AG beer, it will be a big step up.

Latest posts

Back