Cold Crashing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicknacknoo

Reaction score
Quick question, ived looked online about cold crashing ya ya ya, gonna give it a go just because. My question is, after ive cold crashed for a week what do I do before bottling. Raise the temp back to 20 degrees C or keep cold.

Cheers in advance for any help

Nick

I bottle from there but then store them in my fermenting chamber at 19 degrees.
Another way is to transfer to another FV and let sit for another week to clean up the mess. Then bottle from there. I personally only transferred to a secondary only once or twice. It helps, but the risk, to me, is bigger than the reward. So I don't do that anymore.

I cold crash for a day or 2 (is it just me or does 1 week seem a bit excessive for a cold crash?), then bottle, then leave the bottles in the house/warm for 2 weeks (and its this temp that I base my priming calcs on), then 2 weeks in a cold spot/fridge.

I cold crash for a day or 2 (is it just me or does 1 week seem a bit excessive for a cold crash?), then bottle, then leave the bottles in the house/warm for 2 weeks (and its this temp that I base my priming calcs on), then 2 weeks in a cold spot/fridge.

Not really matey, I used to cc for a day or two then I tried a week to see if it was worth it, I cc for a minimum of a week now, usually ten days.
Huge improvement in the clarity of the beer and less sediment in the bottle.
I bottled a pa last weekend and it's already clear in the bottle, it's still conditioning but it's looking bright as anything right now.

I've done 2 days to a week depending on how quickly its clearing, no need to raise the temp to bottle but obviously it then needs warmer storage for a week or two to carb up.

That's brilliant. Cheer for the info.

Nick

Drinking a blinding Leffe Clone, and Rev James
PF Nowt
SF Belgian Dubbel
Planning Theakstons OP, and summat I'm gonna put together with Maris, crystal and a bag of challenger

I'm in the middle of a 48hr cold crash right now. It's my first time cold crashing but the beer has gone slightly cloudy looking - I can't see through the DJ anymore. I though it was supposed to help with clarity. Is this because of CO2 being re-absorbed, and is this normal? I'm hoping to bottle tomorrow, will absorbed CO2 effect priming?

I'm in the middle of a 48hr cold crash right now. It's my first time cold crashing but the beer has gone slightly cloudy looking - I can't see through the DJ anymore. I though it was supposed to help with clarity. Is this because of CO2 being re-absorbed, and is this normal? I'm hoping to bottle tomorrow, will absorbed CO2 effect priming?

That'll be chill haze. Leave it until it clears (a few more days) then bottle it and you should be clear from chill haze... If you can't wait just bottle it anyway.

Not really matey, I used to cc for a day or two then I tried a week to see if it was worth it, I cc for a minimum of a week now, usually ten days.
Huge improvement in the clarity of the beer and less sediment in the bottle.
I bottled a pa last weekend and it's already clear in the bottle, it's still conditioning but it's looking bright as anything right now.

I've done a day for all of my beers bar the last one which I left for just under a week...the difference is quite amazing, after just a few days it's crystal clear in the bottle. I'll probably try to give pale ales 4-5 days cold in future.

What TRD said. Basically what happens is that the cold partially precipitates the chill haze forming proteins out of the beer to form a haze. But it you leave the beer in the cold the protiens then fully precipitate and drop to the bottom of whatever the beer is in leaving it clear

"Cold crashing".

For some reason that term makes my toes curl. I wish it would go away and with it the seemingly obsessive attachment people have to the "method". It's an "American" import and for Americans it is very important because it does reduce "chill haze" as has been covered above, and Americans do like to pull their beers out of a fridge.

A few years ago when we hadn't heard of "cold crashing" we were quite happy to let time do the job. We knew about reducing chill haze but that wasn't important to many of us. There is no doubt that chilling encourages yeast to fall out of suspension, but its nowhere near as quick as isinglass (although there will be people who object to fish products in their beer).

Back