AG4 Witbier 10L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pope

Regular.
Reaction score
Last night I brewed my fourth BIAB using Greg Hughes' Witbier recipe. However, my intended volume was 10L rather than 23L; so to work out the quantity of ingredients, I divided by 23 then multiplied by 10.

Target OG: 1.044 Measured OG: 1.041
Target FG: 1.011 Target ABV: 4.5%

Boil Volume 12.5L (70 minutes)

Mash Volume 6L at 65°C

Grain Bill:
Wheat Malt - 1kg
Maris Otter Pale Malt - 1kg

Hop Bill:
Saaz - 14g (70 minutes)

Other
Irish Moss - 1/2 tea spoon (15 minutes)
Curacao Bitter Orange Peel - 11g (10 minutes)
Coriander seeds, lightly crushed (10 minutes)

The whole process went really smoothly, apart from one little thing. This was the first time I used a wort chiller, which did work really well, but it was dripping where the hoze connected to it...so I had to have a bowl under it.

I loved the smell of the orange peel.

I pitched at 24°C, using Mangrove Jack's M21 Witbier yeast. The airlock is already bubbling away and a krausen looks to have formed.

If I hit the target FG I will miss the target ABV, It'll be around 4%...not too bothered about this though. Taste and quaffability are more important.

Quick update to this.

I bottled this on Sunday, with a FG of 1.012 and ABV of 4%.

Bottling was a nightmare...the locknut fixing the tap on my bottling bucket has become loose, without my knowing. I only found out after siphoning my beer into the bucket.

I had to quickly bottle the beer...pressing the tap back to reduce the wastage, whilst trying to not burn my hands on the bottles which had not long come out of the oven...

I still managed to get 17 500ml bottles...but made a mess of the kitchen top and floor.:-?

At least you got some bottled, it could have been far worse.Let me know what you think of M21, I found the flavouour it imparts to be very good.

I found it to be very slow fermenting the last few points out, but I'd say at 72% attenuation you're probably pretty safe.

So first try of this tonight...2 and a half weeks after bottling.

It doesn't look much like a Wheat Beer, it's not cloudy enough. It had a decent head when poured.

It tastes like a Wheat Beer, albeit in can't really get the orange or spice flavours. The wife can though...despite that, it's a really good beer, one that I would be proud to bring to a friend's house.

It's got a pleasant carbonated mouth feel to it too.

IMG-20161004-WA0001.jpg

20161004_191358.jpg

Having one of these tonight.

I've only got handful left, it's been my my best brew so far. I'll be brewing this again but I might add some oats too, for smoothness.

20161101_200425.jpg

Latest posts

Back