The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe thats why I was having trouble getting it down.. I pitched at 24 thinking I could get it down.. But with only half frozen bottles I was fighting up hill battle.. I had loads in there and it was a fight to get it down to 20.. will know for next time..

Proper beast yeast then!!

Steven from the Crossmyloof Brewery kindly supplied me their yeast specification sheet which I have copied below.

BELGIAN STRAIN CLASSIFICATION:
Suitable for anything Belgian " i.e. strong & phenolic blonde, spicy golden, Abbey & flavoured dark
Ales. Beers fermented with this yeast exhibit excellent classic Belgian ale flavour - i.e. clove
hints with a multitude of fruit esters, alcohol and banana character. For a more intense flavour
ferment at its higher end.

Saccharomyces cerevisiae RECOMMENDED TEMPERATURE RANGE: 64 - 82°F (18 - 28°C) ATTENUATION: (70-79%)
FLOCCULATION RATE: 68% COMPACTION: 70% VIABLE YEAST CELLS: >5 x 109 cells per gram DRY WEIGHT: 93 "
96% WILD YEAST: <1 per 106 cells TOTAL BACTERIA: <1 per 106 cells GMO STATUS: GMO Free
{Similar in characteristics to Mangrove Jacks M41}

CALIFORNAIN STRAIN CLASSIFICATION:
Suitable for California Common and lagers fermented at ambient (ale) temperatures. A unique lager
strain that has the ability to ferment at ale temperatures without the associated off flavours.
California lager yeast produces clean and crisp lagers, this yeast is excellent for producing
anything from a hoppy pilsner to a helles or steam beer allowing excellent malt and hop character
to be expressed. Extended lagering periods are also not required.

Saccharomyces cerevisiae RECOMMENDED TEMPERATURE RANGE: 17 - 22°C ATTENUATION: (75-82%)
FLOCCULATION RATE: 78-80% COMPACTION: 72-78% VIABLE YEAST CELLS: >5 x 109 cells per gram DRY
WEIGHT: 93 " 96% WILD YEAST: <1 per 106 cells TOTAL BACTERIA: <1 per 106 cells GMO STATUS: GMO Free
{similar to MJ’s M54}

KOLSCH STRAIN CLASSIFICATION:
Kolsch lager ale yeast is a top fermenting lager clone yeast and produces a clean lager aroma
without the associated sulphur. This yeast is perfect for most kinds of lager. Ferment at lower
temps for a cleaner taste and extended lagering time will produce a cleaner brew. Can’t ferment at
15c? Room temp will do just fine…

Saccharomyces cerevisiae RECOMMENDED TEMPERATURE RANGE: 15 - 22°C ATTENUATION: (75-82%)
FLOCCULATION RATE: 80-81% COMPACTION: 75-80% VIABLE YEAST CELLS: >5 x 109 cells per gram DRY
WEIGHT: 93 " 96% WILD YEAST: <1 per 106 cells TOTAL BACTERIA: <1 per 106 cells GMO STATUS: GMO Free

KRISTALLWEIZEN STRAIN CLASSIFICATION:
A top-fermenting wheat beer yeast ferments clear and imparts banana and clove esters balanced with
spiced aromas. Ferment at the higher end for a more robust flavour. This yeast produces a silky
mouthfeel and rich body.

Saccharomyces cerevisiae RECOMMENDED TEMPERATURE RANGE: 64 - 82°F (18 - 28°C) ATTENUATION:
(71-79%) FLOCCULATION RATE: 68% COMPACTION: 60% VIABLE YEAST CELLS: >5 x 109 cells per gram DRY
{Similar in characteristics to MJ M20}

REAL ALE STRAIN CLASSIFICATION:
Suitable for Scottish Heavy Ales, American Amber Ales, Sweet Stouts and more. A top-fermenting ale
yeast
suitable for a variety of full bodied ales, with exceptional depth.

Saccharomyces cerevisiae RECOMMENDED TEMPERATURE RANGE: 17 - 22°C ATTENUATION: (70-79%)
FLOCCULATION RATE: 79% COMPACTION: 80% VIABLE YEAST CELLS: >5 x 109 cells per gram DRY WEIGHT: 93 "
96% WILD YEAST: <1 per 106 cells TOTAL BACTERIA: <1 per 106 cells GMO STATUS: GMO Free
{Similar in characteristics to Lallemand Nottingham}

US PALE ALE STRAIN CLASSIFICATION:
Suitable for American Style Pale Ales, American Double IPAs, American Style Imperial Stouts and
more. A top- fermenting ale strain suitable for American style ales. This yeast produces an
exceptionally clean flavour, ideal for when you want the hop character to really punch through.

Saccharomyces cerevisiae RECOMMENDED TEMPERATURE RANGE: 17 - 22°C ATTENUATION: (73-82%)
FLOCCULATION RATE: 80-82% COMPACTION: 80-81% VIABLE YEAST CELLS: >5 x 109 cells per gram DRY
{Similar in characteristics to Safale US05}

I am not affiliated with Crossmyloof in any way, other than being a very satisfied customer!

Anyone tried the Belgian or Weizen ??
Yes have tried a Belgian wit from a club member and if I had closed my eyes I swore I had been drinking my brucy bonus which was brewed at Christmas.
Fermented my lucky 7 brew with this and with only ten days in the bottle I could have quite happily drunk the lot.
A nice subtle spicy note with a hint of banana and a slight ginger note.Cant wait to this matures as I have 41 bottles to go.

Gerry

Interesting, kicked off a Muntons kit with their ale yeast, big krausen on it after a day at 20°C, will have to see how quick it finishes!

Also interesting that the data below likens it to a Nottingham yeast as I'm going to brew a batch of treacle stout soon using a Coopers Stout + a tin of dark LME + a tin of black treacle and was going to used Nottingham due to the potentially high OG and not wanting the end result to be too sweet. May well just use the CML stuff if it's up to the job as I've got two more sachets of it.

Yep tried the wheat in a gh part mash American wheat. ..fermented at around 24°c the taste is of candy bubble gum and citrus from the hops. Very nice! The beer is star bright in the bottle but gets a bit of chill haze overnight in the fridge. I also have a cali common carbonation using their cali yeast but it needs a couple more weeks....he says! This is also totally clear. Next up should be a dry stout to which I'll add the American pale yeast.

Big fan of the US Pale and Kolsch. Only ones I've tried of theirs, but very satisfied so far.

Your right, but their great if you just want one pack of one type of hops or lots of types of small amounts. I probably wouldnt but 1kg of hops

Was checking the difference with a variety of their hops against my online suppliers and not much difference when you take out delivery charge.
I'm sure if you emailed Steve he could possibly come to some arrangement.

Well, this is a first for me in my entire brewing journey..

This real ale yeast which went like the clappers.. has actually stuck on me the old 1.020

Never had one stick on me yet, until now.. to be fair it was brewed last friday so maybe a touch early but given SWMBO and teh kids are out this evening and the ferocity it went at I thought it must be finished, alas it is and it isn't.. I have given it a stir with my spoon hoping to kick up the sediment and I have removed any bottles now so will keep at warmer room temps to see how it goes.

Failing that I will add some yeast perhaps nottingham..

My airlock was equalised totally, since gviing it a stir and kicking up the trub the airlocks been bubbling again every few seconds like it does at the latter end of teh more vigurous stage of fermentation..

Really bizzare, I wonder if my efforts to get the temp down when it was hot caused it to stall maybe..

Even trying the drips of my hydrometer at 1.20 and with trub floating around it gave me the impression it was going to taste ok, even though I have planned or made some cock ups on this one temp and prepeation wise...

My airlock was equalised totally, since gviing it a stir and kicking up the trub the airlocks been bubbling again every few seconds like it does at the latter end of teh more vigurous stage of fermentation..

Really bizzare, I wonder if my efforts to get the temp down when it was hot caused it to stall maybe..

Even trying the drips of my hydrometer at 1.20 and with trub floating around it gave me the impression it was going to taste ok, even though I have planned or made some cock ups on this one temp and prepeation wise...

Could of done. I found this yeast quite flocculant so if you cooled it quickly it might not have taken much to drop out of suspention

I had a very similar experience with the US Pale yeast, went off like a rocket then stalled. I stirred it up and it got going again. It was also at fairly high temperatures but I didn't do anything to try and cool it so at least it wasn't fluctuating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some interesting experiences. I have used it a couple of times now. I brewed a porter with Lallemands London ESB yeast which stuck, so I pitched the CML US Pale yeast which took it down to 1.008. My last brew was a 1.061 pale ale which the US Pale yeast fermented down to 1.014 and I am currently fermenting a pseudo-lager with it at 18C. It is going like the clappers two days in. Hoping to get down to 1.010 or maybe a tad lower.
The porter was mashed at 69C, the pale ale at 66C and the pseudo-lager at 64C. Planning to get some of the real ale and kolsch yeast in the future. The real ale yeast sounds like it might be similar to Windsor which is prone to sticking. It tends to keep working very slowly though, so not good for bottling. Can end up with overcarbed beers.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Some interesting experiences. I have used it a couple of times now. I brewed a porter with Lallemands London ESB yeast which stuck, so I pitched the CML US Pale yeast which took it down to 1.008. My last brew was a 1.061 pale ale which the US Pale yeast fermented down to 1.014 and I am currently fermenting a pseudo-lager with it at 18C. It is going like the clappers two days in. Hoping to get down to 1.010 or maybe a tad lower.
The porter was mashed at 69C, the pale ale at 66C and the pseudo-lager at 64C. Planning to get some of the real ale and kolsch yeast in the future. The real ale yeast sounds like it might be similar to Windsor which is prone to sticking. It tends to keep working very slowly though, so not good for bottling. Can end up with overcarbed beers.

I've only used the real ale yeast once but I wouldnt say it's like windsor at all. I got a high attenuation (in the 80%'s) and it fermented really quickly. I found it to be REALLY malty

I've only used the real ale yeast once but I wouldnt say it's like windsor at all. I got a high attenuation (in the 80%'s) and it fermented really quickly. I found it to be REALLY malty
That's good to hear. I am planning to use it soon in a few brews. What temps did you mash and ferment at?

Latest posts

Back