Whole Black Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kakistos_uk

kakistos_uk
Reaction score
Me again!

I’m going to make another stout and want some feedback on my intended recipe.

Previously I used Cooper’s stout, 1 kg of dextrose and 1kg of demerara sugar with 500g of crushed chocolate malt. The results were wonderful but a little strong (ABV).

This time I intend to use a coopers kit, 500g whole black malt (which I understand is for sweeter stouts), 1 pound of Holland & Barratt malt extract and 500g – 1kg of brown sugar .

I’ve not used HB malt extract or whole black malt. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any feedback on my intended recipe would be most welcome. Any additions you could recommend?

Me again!

I’m going to make another stout and want some feedback on my intended recipe.

Previously I used Cooper’s stout, 1 kg of dextrose and 1kg of demerara sugar with 500g of crushed chocolate malt. The results were wonderful but a little strong (ABV).

This time I intend to use a coopers kit, 500g whole black malt (which I understand is for sweeter stouts), 1 pound of Holland & Barratt malt extract and 500g �" 1kg of brown sugar .

I’ve not used HB malt extract or whole black malt. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any feedback on my intended recipe would be most welcome. Any additions you could recommend?
Hiya
The black malt needs to be crushed. H and B extract is fine,should you want a darker one look at the 'Potters' extract available at H and B. Not put any of that into a calculator,but go steady on black malt if you decide to use it,it won't make the stout any sweeter,infact it will probably make it more astringent!.
Don't do kits any longer,but someone will be along to guide you:thumb:
Take a look here-
stout

Hi!
I have used Meridian malt extract and also Potter's, both from H&B. As @chub1 said, they are dark malt extracts, better suited to bitters, porters and stouts. I've had no problems using these malt extracts.
If you're after a sweeter stout, add lactose to the brew and make a Mackeson-style milk stout.
I would ditch the brown sugar and go with all malt extract.
If you're getting a brew that's too strong, cut back on the fermentables. Adding 2kg sugar to a kit will make a strong brew - it's usually "a kit and a kilo".

Latest posts

Back