Beer Fermentation Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarvi

Reaction score
I have just started my first ever beer brew. (A 40 pint cerveza kit from Wilko). For the first 36 hours the airlock was bubbling rapidly every few seconds. I started the brew around 48 hours ago, but the airlock has slowed down and now is only bubbling around once every 4 to 5 minutes. Is this normal? (The fermenting vessel is on a hot plate, so the temperature is constant.

@Jarvi
Most probably you have a leak between the FV and it's lid. You might look at the lid and think its sealed but it isn't. It's a common thing. Anyway what this means that CO2 bypasses the airlock and it doesn't bubble very much, especially when the fermentation is starting to die down.
I suggest you go round the lid to check its sealed, if it starts bubbling again good, if not then just ignore it. Some folks don't bother with an airlock because they can be unreliable. Whatever the outcome then leave it for at least another week before you take your first SG reading. This extended time will give the yeast chance to finish the primary, clean up any byproducts and maybe start to clear.
However if you really really really want to see those nice airlock bubbles you could remove the lid and quickly put four strips of cling film over the FV rim and quickly replace the lid. That will give seal. That's what I do sometimes.
Finally if its your first brew you might also find this useful.
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum

Thanks for the replies. The lid seems to be sealed ok as when I press gently on it the bubbles increase rapidly. I will leave it for a week and see how it goes.

Ive done kits that have done that and turned out ok. I wouldnt worry about it if I were you. Leave it a full 2 weeks in the FV as even after fermentation finishes leaving it a bit longer will help it settle and start conditioning. When you get the same gravity reading for 2 days it has fnished fermenting but will slow before it finishes.

The general thoughts on here for most beers are 2 weeks in the FV at about 20°C, 2 weeks carbonating in the bottle at about 20°C and then 2 weeks kept cool to condition.

Hi Jarvi. Test the gravity with a hydrometer. No change in gravity reading over a few days, and it's done. It's the only sure fire method. Got a kit on the go right now, started 2 weeks ago at 1.060, checked after 1 week at 1.020, tested this weekend at 1.013. Paying no attention to the airlock. Longest I left in primary fermenter was 9 weeks I think. But don't worry, I was just being lazy, it was finished well before that. And there are plenty of beers that I probably kegged or bottled before the fermentation had fully completed. No worries at all with kegs with a pressure release valve. And with bottles, so long as you open at least 1 bottle from the batch every couple of weeks, giving you some insight into the carbonation level, there is not much to worry about either. Lets just say, I always have a very good insight as to the carbonation levels of my bottles.

Your first ever brew won't be the worlds best, but it will be unique and yours. Enjoy!

Have just moved the FV from one hotplate to another (slightly warmer one). Now bubbling every 2 minutes, so fingers crossed.

Most kit beers brewed with the kit yeast need about a week before the primary fermentation is more or less done. Dependant on the circumstances it is rare to get a primary properly finished in less than 4/5 days. Assuming your kit comes with an ale yeast if it is at 19*C or above it should still be fermenting at only 2 days in. However if it's less than 18*C it will be struggling along a bit.
So make sure it is warm enough (19/20*C is ideal) and leave it alone for another week at least before you check the SG as I suggested earlier.

I have left the brew going on the hotplate at 20 degrees for 2 weeks. I have checked the SG over the last 2 days and am only getting 1002. Where have I gone wrong? Do I leave it on the hotplate for another 2 weeks to see if it changes? (The FV is still building up pressure as when I gently touch the lid the airlock bubbles) Any ideas/solutions appreciated.

I have left the brew going on the hotplate at 20 degrees for 2 weeks. I have checked the SG over the last 2 days and am only getting 1002. Where have I gone wrong? Do I leave it on the hotplate for another 2 weeks to see if it changes? (The FV is still building up pressure as when I gently touch the lid the airlock bubbles) Any ideas/solutions appreciated.
1002 says quite firmly its finished fermenting and you have done nothing wrong get busy packaging it be it bottles or a keg and leave them in a warm place for a few weeks to carbonate up

More advice please. I have now bottled and kegged the beer. How long do I need to leave it in a warm place? I have read that it is 2 days on one forum, and another it is saying 2 weeks.

More advice please. I have now bottled and kegged the beer. How long do I need to leave it in a warm place? I have read that it is 2 days on one forum, and another it is saying 2 weeks.

2 weeks is recommended by most on this forum. 2 days is definitely not long enough for your cerveza to carbonate.

I tried my 1st bottle this week. Really surprised as its my first ever beer brew. Nice taste, plenty of bubbles, BUT I had problems stopping the yeast moving from the bottom of the bottle. (Tried pouring it slowly) Will the yeast settle properly over time?

I tried my 1st bottle this week. Really surprised as its my first ever beer brew. Nice taste, plenty of bubbles, BUT I had problems stopping the yeast moving from the bottom of the bottle. (Tried pouring it slowly) Will the yeast settle properly over time?
Some yeasts don't flocculate as much as other yeasts and so consequently don't settle and pack down as well. You could have one of those. However it's only three weeks or so since you bottled so I would give it a few more weeks longer before you finally know.
If you put the bottles in the fridge before serving ( I assume you do this anyway as its a Cerveza) and tilt the bottle as you slowly pour into your glass, you should minimise the yeast carry over, but there will always be some cloudy beer at the bottom of the bottle whatever yeast or pouring method you use.
If you want to minimise yeast in the bottom of the the bottles I suggest you leave your beer in the FV for at least two weeks or until appears to be clear. There will still be enough yeast to carbonate, and instead of 4mm of yeast at the bottom of the bottle as can happen if you bottle cloudy beer there will only a 1mm or less.

Latest posts

Back