No Challenger, but i have EKG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Harviestoun Ptarmigan

PALE MALT : 1934G
WHEAT MALT : 84G
CRYSTAL MALT : 64G
WHITE SUGAR : 64G
BLACK MALT: 7G
CHALLENGER 60MINS : 19G
SAAZ 10MINS : 7G

11litre batch

hi beer dwellers

I made a cock up with an order where I required Challenger.
I have some EKG. would the same amount be ok or do I need to up them a bit. Theyre on the mild side of 6% AA.
Any suggestions be great in the next 30 mins:)

edit:ive noticed challenger from CML are 8%AA so maybe a couple more grams?

Up the EKG a little, it's always a win.

After getting totally screwed over by the banks and the news I'm about to be sacked, I opened the freezer and found I have about 100g of EKG, along with some Marris Otter and Crystal I was recently given life is looking pretty good!

Precis: You can never have too much EKG flavour, follow the old rules to adjust for bittering and you'll be a happy man (unless you are a woman.)

no im definitely a man, and just to add, ive been pubic for just over 20 years give or take a few extra months (not entirely sure this additional info helps)

Don't worry about the job, theres plenty out there. and considering uv managed to help me after such **** news, ur likely to get something pretty soon.:)

No trying to insult anyone - I just haven't been on this forum as long as you and don't want to offend others. I admit EKG is one of my favourite hops, but if your tag means anything I'm sure you will appreciate my opinion.

I became truly converted to homebrew by a girlfriend of British heritage who taught me to appreciate a good Ale (she was a proud member of CAMRA) instead of trying to imitate Australian commercial "lagers." My favourite go-to now is styled on what I believe a Tetley's ESB would have been like before the war.

Simple way to decide how much to use..........................If Challenger is 7% AA and you need 30g then times 7 by 30 and you get 210.
If EKG is 6% AA then divide 210 by 6 and you get 35.
It's probably not an exact science, but you'll still get beer!

And the annoying thing was I found some half hour later.
I was curious as to why I was putting challenger recipes as the next brew. Just a shame I can't appreciate the original clone now.
Saying that there seems to be a lot of different takes on beers and the hop profiles, maybe I got it right..maybe we'll never know, or maybe, just maybe, nobody actually gives a monkeys toss

Simple way to decide how much to use..........................If Challenger is 7% AA and you need 30g then times 7 by 30 and you get 210.
If EKG is 6% AA then divide 210 by 6 and you get 35.
It's probably not an exact science, but you'll still get beer!

Useful tips cheers duxuk

Latest posts

Back