AG#5 Belgian Strong Blonde Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvincent

Reaction score
Brewed this a few months ago but reaching the end of it's conditioning phase so thought about time to post the recipe.

Dingemans Pilsen Malt 5300g
Dingemans Pale Ale Malt 400g
Dingemans Wheat Malt 150g
Munich Malt 227g

Belgian Candi Sugar clear rocks or syrup 500g
Brewing sugar 180g

Add the sugars at the end of primary. I know it sounds strange but did some reading about this and there seems to a school of thought around letting the yeast tackle the malt sugars first and simpler sugars second. At least in Belgian Blondes. Put in pan with some filtered water and bring to boil, then cool and add.

Based this on 23l going into fermenter.

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.020 (due to long conditoning and use of Brett suspect it finished much lower than this)

Final ABV around 7%

Styrian 60 min 28g
Hallertau 60 min 10g
Saaz 30 min 10g

Water treatment

Supposed to use a slightly softer water so boil your water day before brew day and leave to cool overnight. In the morning you will see calcium deposits at bottom. Pour out carefully leaving these behind.

Mash schedule:

59C for 20 mins (dough in thick)
raise temp slowly to 66-67c
66-67 c for 30 mins
raise temp bit faster to 77c for mash out

Sparge with 77c water

Boil for 90 mins

Primary

Make starter night before with Wyeast 1388. Pitch at 18c and let temp rise slowly to 20c over course of 1 week. Don't forget sugar additions at end.

Secondary

Rack to glass carboy and add WLP650 Brett at 16c. Ferment at 16c for 1 month.

Bottling

Add priming sugar but might be worth using a little less than usual as this beer will keep on attenuating for some time in the bottle due to the brett. Pitch a second pack of wyeast 1388 into bottling bucket and stir gently (no splashing). Prime for week to 10 days at 21c. Now reduce temp to 16c for 3 months minimum.

This is a long time to wait for a brew and does require some planning due to temps. I would recommend brewing in the winter months so you can put somewhere cool as will occupy your brew fridge for too long otherwise :whistle:

I've got about a month to go until mine is ready but tasted one for quality control of course and tasted fantastic already :thumb:

Enjoy if you have the patience.

Latest posts

Back