black malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd give Rob @ Maltmiller a ring, he's helpful with suggestions for alternatives :thumb:

oo errr missus :roll: I don't do lager :!: I'm sure soeone will be along with a suggestion :thumb:

although I don't think lager yeast would go with black malt :whistle:

I might be totally out here, but doesn't Budvar use some kind of black malt (I'm just going by the colour of the drink :lol: )

Just to explain the above, I'm trying to think of a lager that might use black malt :lol:

malt choice wont affect the yeast. (well it can but not in the sense i am talking about before I am corrected)

The yeast you use will affect the taste of the finished beer.

Yeast is the single most influential component of the beer you want to produce and defines 80 to 90% of the flavour of the final product.

There are plenty of black lagers about not just budvar.

There are several in mexico dos equis and modelo negra, both these were brought to mexico by austrians, and there are plenty of austrian black lagers too.

UP

mark1964 said:
I cant seem to find black malt on maltmillers site is there a substitute malt i could use im making bishops tipple :cheers:

Did you look in the Fawcett's section? It seems to be there now.

Hey mark... why are you making lager with black malt?

;)

:rofl:

Sorry, couldn't resist it!

dont think it would work but then again.......... No sorry for the confusion we were planning on 2 seperate brews 1 lager 1 ale the black malt is for me the lager yeast for the mrs :cheers:

In order of choice

Saflager W34/70
Saflager S-23
Saflager S-189

Pitch two sachets (in 23L) at 20C and allow it to cool to 12-14C over 24 hours, alternatively pitch 4 Sachets at 12C.

You can replace Black Malt with Roast Barley, it's not completely the same, it wouldn't work in a stout for example, and it wouldn't work in reverse. If it is just a colouring addition then you will be fine.

Back