Swing tops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawfordid

Reaction score
Hi guys just looking for a bit of advice. I've always used swing top bottles I just prefer the look and feel of them. I've been using them for goin on 18 months with no issues but noticed recently that I need to start replacing the rubber seals. Some of the rubber seals though seem to have almost fused to the ceramic part?? The other bottles are fine and I've bought them all from the same place so don't think they glued on.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or have any idea on ways to remove the rubber without replacing the whole wire cage and lid

Thanks

I got a load of swing tops, over 80, given to me and they all needed the rubber washers replaced. A lot of them had stuck to the ceramic too so I scraped off what I could, even though there is still some there. Haven't had any problems with then. By far the cheapest place to buy replacement washers I found is HBC, though you could probably make them for pennies.

I've got a few swing tops and never bother to take the washers off, so havent experienced the stuck washer thing. Perhaps try putting the whole swing top in boiling water to soften up the rubber washer then hopefully it might make it easier for them to come off

Every 650ml swing-top Fischer bottle that I have (all 120+ of them) came full of beer for €1.47 (Hic!) and were fitted with a washer fused on to the cap.

I decided that I didn't want to risk the chances of infection so I bought 200 spare swing-tops with washers for €22 and 100 spare washers for another €3.

They are working fine after nearly two years so, if you know anyone who's holidaying in France this year, they are readily available in most of the large supermarkets such as Le Clerc. :thumb:

Back