Heating and taste question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timtoos

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I usually brew using brew belts as I have no where to put a fridge. I usually only require heating so the is no issue.

In my fermenter I have a thermowell which is where I place a STC1000 temperature probe. Using this method I can control the fermentation setting pretty good.

Now the question I have is this. As I have mentioned I usually use brew belts but on this occasion I also used an heat pad with the belt to speed heating up. The same STC was used to control the set-point.

Would using a pad cause off flavours? The reason I ask is while a belt heats the vessel walls up, the pad heats from the bottom, and thats where yeast etc sit. Since the heat pad would get hotter than the set point before the contents warm up I am worried that the yeast etc will be heated up too much and awful tastes emitted into my beer.

I have just had a kit beer on (Youngs AIPA which I have done before just using heat belts - turned out beautiful). I have just had a taste (been in FV for 12 days now but FG of 1.007 reached), anyway the sample had the home brew twang. It had that smell too.

Would you guys think this is all due to the fact its a kit beer, that its young or that too much heat through through yeast etc causing this issue?

PS, the beer is not yet dry hopped and to be honest I cannot remember what the beer tasted like before dry hop last time :-/

TIA

I don't think the issue is heat, the yeast doing the work is dispersed throughout the stuff at the bottom is more dead/dormant. I could be wrong though maybe someone else will clarify.

Latest posts

Back